New on forums and new to MTB

sabretalon
sabretalon Posts: 24
edited April 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi all, I am new to both the forums and mountain biking.

Recently just bought my daughter her new MTB a Cube Access WLS and whilst there decided to get a bike for me so bought the Cube AIM SL 29.

We have been out on them and have found we are getting a bit of a bug for it.

There are a few things that we want to make sure we have right. I wanted to book a course for us both that will take us through basic maintenance skills. Some of this is mainly so my daughter is able to change a tyre/inner tube or repair a puncture etc... without having to get me to do it all the time, as I work away from home a lot.

I want to get a half decent bike stand for use at home for some repairs or maintenance, so advice on which is best.

I have put a simple pack together for under her seat, that includes 1 spare tube, multi tool, puncture repair kit and tyre levers. Is there anything else that you would consider essential?

Thanks in advance for any advice given

Comments

• Zip ties always come in handy, as does pliers to straighten stuff if your multi-tool doesn't come equipped. Perhaps a basic first aid kit for crashes/spills, though might be best to carry first aid kit in a rucksack with a hydration pack if you don't have a water bottle already on the bike. Water always helps wash stuff out in the event someone cuts themselves. Insulating tape may again come in handy in a bind, you sometimes have to get creative whilst out and about.
  • Agree with the zip ties.
    I never bother with a puncture repair kit - would rather take 2 inner tubes. Quicker and easier if you get caught in the rain, or if the puncture is near the valve.
    (You didn't mention a pump or Co2 inflator - i'm assuming that it's attached to the frame along with a water bottle.)

I always carry a flapjack/energy bar and a couple of quid too. Just in case you run out of energy before you get home.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • buddy_club
    buddy_club Posts: 935
    Agree with the zip ties.
    I never bother with a puncture repair kit - would rather take 2 inner tubes. Quicker and easier if you get caught in the rain, or if the puncture is near the valve.
    (You didn't mention a pump or Co2 inflator - i'm assuming that it's attached to the frame along with a water bottle.)

I always carry a flapjack/energy bar and a couple of quid too. Just in case you run out of energy before you get home.
    I've been on rides where i've gone through two tubes and have had to use the puncture repair kit, so i would take both.
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL
    Ribble Gran Fondo https://goo.gl/ZpTFXz
    Triban:http://goo.gl/v63FBB
  • Mount decent rechargeable lights that can easily be released from the bike. You'll appreciate the available light if you have to perform emergency repair whilst the light is failing, lights save having to carry a torch. They also come in useful to keep you more visible in case of an emergency and you may need help e.g broken ankle after falling off a trail.

Plan for the worst but expect the best, as the worst rarely happens and it'll keep thing fun.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    buddy_club wrote:
    I've been on rides where i've gone through two tubes and have had to use the puncture repair kit, so i would take both.
    What he said.

Especially if you get something like the Scab self adhesive patches, take up no room and are good if you're helping somebody else on the trails.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • Yes we have pump mounted at side of water bottle. Considering buying a small backpack for snacks and some water for cleaning etc...

Idea was to have 1 spare tube so if you get a puncture you can switch out the tubes and then when you take a break you can repair the tube.

We have the Toppeak race rocket pumps. Liked them because it has the tube that extends out so not pulling the valve all over the place.

Going to be sorting lighting out soon. As we only plan small family trips at the moment, it has not been a priority. Any recommendations?

Also, the basic pedals that came on the bike work as such, I tend to find I am constantly having to adjust my feet. Possibly due to the size being small? I was looking round but the market seems flooded with them it is difficult for a newb to choose, without just paying for something at top price with the assumption, they would be good. At the moment I am looking into the Shimano MX-80's, they seem to have half decent reviews and are not a massive investment.

We are looking at trailers as well, since our son seems to be too big (size wise) for a seat (feet already one rung from the bottom) so any advice on those would be good.

My multi tool does have pliers on so covered there. Will put in some cable ties. I guess a couple of split pins don't take up much space. I have a couple of split links for the chain as well.
  • Just bought the chain cleaner and a workshop stand from Lidl. Good prices £3.99 for the chain cleaner and £29.99 for the stand.

The stand seems nice and heavy and I did see a few people on the forums saying they where good enough for them.

Just need to sort out as few workshop tools next.
  • brucie45
    brucie45 Posts: 279
    I too have bought the stand from Lidl, got no complaints really for the money. For a starter toolkit something like this will be good enough to get you going. I bought one similar to this a couple of years ago and never had any problems yet.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Deluxe-35PC-Mountain-Bike-Hand-Bicycle-Cycle-Maintenance-Repair-Tool-Kit-Shimano-/400623228352?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Cycling_BikeLocks_SR&hash=item5d470155c0#ht_4181wt_1399
    Commencal Ramones Cromo 13 - viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12926938