Ronde Van Vlaanderen discussion

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Crozza wrote:
    Can anyone point me to a site which explains the route changes over the last few years? They keep getting mentioned and I'm clueless. The first one I watched was when Chinny schooled Boonen on the Muur, and all I know is they seem to have taken it out :(

In 2012 they moved the finish from Ninove to Oudenaarde, 20 kms to the west, and the Muur was removed completely. The new finish used a circuit which takes in the Oude Kwaremont (three times) and the Paterberg (twice), mainly so that they could put up hospitality tents on the false flat just after the Kwaremont. After the final ascent of the Paterberg there is a 12 km flat run in to Oudenaarde. This new finale saw negative racing as no-one quite understood how to race it, and on both occasions the strongest rider (Boonen in 2012, Cancellara last year) won.

This year the route has been tweaked and the Kwaremont is used two or three times again, but the Paterberg just once and, most interestingly of all, the Koppenberg is thrown in with 45 kms to go, whereas before it was included with 70 kms to go.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Nice summary andy.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp wrote:
    Crozza wrote:
    This year the route has been tweaked and the Kwaremont is used two or three times again, but the Paterberg just once and, most interestingly of all, the Koppenberg is thrown in with 45 kms to go, whereas before it was included with 70 kms to go.

The Oude Kwaremont is used three times and the Paterberg is used twice.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Turfle wrote:
    I reckon if Wiggins is there helping with only 60k to go he'll have done his job well.

Turfle, you know the way it goes: the TV coverage won't start till well into the 2nd half of the race. During the unseen first half Wiggins could have given his wheel to G, chased back on, protected and sheltered him and EBH, brought them more food and bidons, given them his first born (things that generally riders do as domestiques, except the first born bit).... BUT unless people see him single-handedly pulling back a breakaway of Fabs, Terpstra and Sagan with 30km to go and launching G to glorious victory, he will be judged as having done fark all. Doesn't matter whether the team specified his role to do x and y just in the first 130km (or whatever). It's Wiggins so therefore he's not allowed to do what most other domestiques will do once they've done their job and are many minutes behind.

Tis the way.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I'm starting to get really excited about this race! Couldn't glean too much from the DreiDaagse yesterday other than OPQS remain ridiculously strong and that there is still a team called Lampre somewhere in the peleton. I think it's fair to say that with the race appearing to be so open for Sunday it is as much about which team has the best support riders rather than out and out stars.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • outcastjack
    outcastjack Posts: 237
    andyp wrote:

In 2012 they moved the finish from Ninove to Oudenaarde, 20 kms to the west, and the Muur was removed completely. The new finish used a circuit which takes in the Oude Kwaremont (three times) and the Paterberg (twice), mainly so that they could put up hospitality tents on the false flat just after the Kwaremont. After the final ascent of the Paterberg there is a 12 km flat run in to Oudenaarde. This new finale saw negative racing as no-one quite understood how to race it, and on both occasions the strongest rider (Boonen in 2012, Cancellara last year) won.

Cheers for that
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    andyp wrote:

Cheers, all is now clear :)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    am riding the route ( with sinusitis) on Sat so will report anything of note.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    am riding the route ( with sinusitis) on Sat so will report anything of note.

He must be Flemish with a name like that...
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Can anyone recommend a nice town (big screen and beer) along the route to watch?
    exercise.png
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    The square (for want of a better description) in Kwaremont village used to be a great spot to watch, big screen, couple of bars and the race going past.

I've not been there since the route change though, so know it might be very, very busy, given how the race comes past three times.
  • Richmond Racer
    andyp wrote:
    The square (for want of a better description) in Kwaremont village used to be a great spot to watch, big screen, couple of bars and the race going past.

I've not been there since the route change though, so know it might be very, very busy, given how the race comes past three times.

Was up there for last year's race. Yes, its busy, but there are enough bars and stalls to keep you fuelled - just be prepared to spend a few mins queuing.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    I'll be doing the middle route with a few from my club as well. can't wait.

Reckon Terpstra has a good chance...
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Will it be Carlton Kirby on British Eurosport? Need to get some calming meditation in beforehand if it is.
  • frenchfighter
    Falnders recon photos of Belkin and OPQS:
    http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/7988/sport/pho ... eren.dhtml
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Tommeke looking ripped
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    Sky+ app reckons the coverage on Eurosport starts at 11:30am. But that could be an hour of James Richardson chatting to Magnus Backstedt who will be wearing a ridiculous shirt. Be nice if it got the earlier part of the race.

Re: the Koppenberg, is it in the earlier part as well as 45km from the finish, or has it been moved?
  • Richmond Racer
    MrTapir wrote:
    Sky+ app reckons the coverage on Eurosport starts at 11:30am. But that could be an hour of James Richardson chatting to Magnus Backstedt who will be wearing a ridiculous shirt. Be nice if it got the earlier part of the race.

Re: the Koppenberg, is it in the earlier part as well as 45km from the finish, or has it been moved?

Nope, just at the 215km mark
  • frenchfighter
    Crozza wrote:
    Tommeke looking ripped

Yeah been looking good all year. I would be surprised if he isn't a front month in both races.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TheStone wrote:
    Can anyone recommend a nice town (big screen and beer) along the route to watch?

Oudenaarde: The races passes through 3 times and finishes there. Decent size town (small city) with all the amenities (screen& beer) you could want.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Hmm, buit of a shame but the people I'm going with are all for getting back on sunday and have booked the flipping boat for 6pm!!

Flipping Triathletes!

Reckon well see some of the early stuff them I ll have to embargo myself until Monday (which I took off in anticipation of staying over)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    MrTapir wrote:

Looks like the TV broadcasts of some form may well start around 11:30 since RAI are also showing their coverage starts then.
    However they are again a bit of a PITA since they start at 11:30, then that program ends at 12:30 to have the subsequent program running from 12:30 - 2:05 and at 2:05 they then switch coverage from the Sport 2 channel onto RAI 3. My satellite box doesn't allow me to program a program change so I'll need to ensure I am in front of it at 2pm to press the button.
    Other than that type of behaviour RAI are great for major races such as this as a FTA channel giving well informed coverage for over 4 1/2hrs.
  • Richmond Racer
    ddraver wrote:
    Hmm, buit of a shame but the people I'm going with are all for getting back on sunday and have booked the flipping boat for 6pm!!
    Flipping Triathletes!

Reckon well see some of the early stuff them I ll have to embargo myself until Monday (which I took off in anticipation of staying over)

What. The.... :shock: :shock:
  • You need new friends, pronto.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ddraver
    We re probably not going to get there until 1am friday night either so set up the tent, 4 hours sleep then up for a 6hr (or so ) ride.

Seriously?!?
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    You need new friends, pronto.

I need friends that are nt Triathletes!!!
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    You need new friends, pronto.

I need friends that are nt Triathletes!!!

Advice to live by... Plus, a 6 hour ride? Doing the 140km route? Epic Fail. Lightweight.

Geen een Echt Kampion.

@gietvangent
  • I'm just kidding. Enjoy it.

Don't repeat my mistake of drinking 11 beers the day before. First 3 hours of riding off a hangover in the worlds biggest peloton through Belgian street furniture was unpleasant.

@gietvangent
  • frenchfighter
    ddraver wrote:
    We re probably not going to get there until 1am friday night either so set up the tent, 4 hours sleep then up for a 6hr (or so ) ride.

Seriously?!?

:lol:
    Good luck with that! Odd that they would go there and not want to watch the race. Sounds like people who cant take time off work so need to leave after work Fri and be back Mon!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    ddraver wrote:

Flipping Triathletes!

Ouch.