Cockpit set-up (I can't be the only one that's done this)

kingsleysmith
kingsleysmith Posts: 10
edited April 2014 in MTB general
In fact the title was a bit misleading, I know I'm not the only one that's done it cos I googled it and seems other peeps have done it too. But from looking at google images it seems like maybe 2% of the pictures have the same set-up as me and I'm surprised more people don't do it.

It's simple really; Basically I found that if I swap my gear shifters with my brake levers so that the brakes are located on the inside as opposed to the outside, I have optimum leverage for one-finger braking and the gear shifters aren't too far out of the way that I need to stretch to reach them. Just wondering if this is old news or is there a reason people don't really have it set up this way? Or am I wrong all together and this is how most people have it? Been into a few bike shops and didn't see any bikes set up like this.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends which finger - I use my middle finger as it's had years of practice.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Old news, everyone does this, unless they don't know anything about bikes
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have had mine like that for years. Very rarely see any different on downhill bikes.
  • Ah ok, cool. Was just kinda surprised that pretty much every bike comes supplied with it the other way round. Plus on nearly every picture on the internet of expensive pro/high-end bikes, they're set up with the brakes on the outside. I thought it might have something to do with that if you had a stack you don't want the gear shifters near your hands or something like that.

So I'm not retarded! That's nice to know.

Cheers
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Yeah, I couldn't tell you why that is. I think it's more for inexperienced riders. When I broke my bike in the alps and had to hire one, I had to fiddle about with the brakes, presumably because some beginner rider would likely hire it and want to use all their fingers for braking (granted the brakes on the bottom spec gambler are shocking and were a struggle with just one finger)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I don't know anyone not riding that setup. Actually I know one person who does, because his thumbs are freakishly short and he couldn't reach the shifter paddle if he did this.
  • Palmer82
    Palmer82 Posts: 21
    Got me thinking... I have no idea which way around mine are but I do know I have the leaver in the perfect place for just my index finger.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Palmer82 wrote:
    Got me thinking... I have no idea which way around mine are but I do know I have the leaver in the perfect place for just my index finger.
    This^^^^^^^^^^. Whatever feels right is right.
    It seemed to be a fashion thing a while back - inboard brakes. Gnarly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I used to run my Hope brakes like that, but the super short levers on my XT's and the fact I hold the bars right on the end of the grip means I can't run them that way, not that it's any issue. Ideally I'd have an i-Spec shifter so they're on one mount though.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have cheap deore shifters with the window on and they cant be mounted inboard of the brake levers but levers and grip position work fine for one finger braking and shifting
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    It's all about the match maker for me!
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Waah I have my brake on the outside seeing as it sits ontop of the shifter nicely. Its been fine for ages, I'm not changing it - there's not a right and wrong way.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    My bike came like that, I don't see any reason not to do it this way...
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I changed mine round so that the brakes were inboard of the shifters before I even rode the bike, the ergonomics were completely wrong with them the opposite way round, as the bike came - made no sense at all fitting them that way at the factory.
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,009
    Waah I have my brake on the outside seeing as it sits ontop of the shifter nicely. Its been fine for ages, I'm not changing it - there's not a right and wrong way.

This for me.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    I think mine are the standard way round, but sometimes I like to use two fingers to brake so I suppose that's right for me.

I don't think I've ever noticed anybody else with it round the "gnarly" way, but to be honest, I don't really look.
    I don't know anyone not riding that setup. Actually I know one person who does, because his thumbs are freakishly short and he couldn't reach the shifter paddle if he did this.
    But doesn't this make the shifters closer?
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    shifter gear indicator windows used to dictate you could only have your brake on a certain side, higher end kit doesn't seem to have those windows any more. Also better brakes mean you now only need one finger which wasn't the case with v brakes
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • ilovedirt wrote:
    Old news, everyone does this, unless they don't know anything about bikes

:roll: You must know everything then I take it?
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    I have cheap deore shifters with the window on and they cant be mounted inboard of the brake levers but levers and grip position work fine for one finger braking and shifting

You can cut the window off and file down. That's what I did on a previous bike anyway :-)