Singlespeed -> 1x10 -> 2x10 !!??

kevinharley
kevinharley Posts: 554
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Recently converted my son's Inbred from a Singlespeed set-up to a 1 x 10 set up ... did it on the cheap, ie keeping the chainring on he already had (which was originally the middle ring from a triple), and with no chainguides etc, other than an old front mech. We were at Gisburn yesterday, and he dropped the chain about 20 times ... unsurprising in restrospect! :oops:

So, I've been considering 2 solutions:

1. Get a proper Wide-Narrow chainring, plus possibly a cheap superstar chainguide (its a used XT mech, but not a clutch mech), or

2. Convert properly to 2 x 10.

The preference is probably to go 2x10, as we've a weekend in Wales coming up soon, including a ride up Snowdon, so reckon he'll need the extra gears.

His current crank is a 5-arm one, and fits to a sqaure taper BB. Have found it difficult to source 5-arm chainrings, so was going to just buy a new (used) crankset and external BB. But that, even used, and with used front shifter and mech, plus gear cable and fitting costs (I'm expecting the BB to be seized in the frame; its been there years, so likely to need to take to a LBS) brings it to around £100 minimum.

So, seeing as I still want to do it on the cheap ( :roll: ), does anyone know where I can get hold of 5-arm chainrings at a budget price? Also, will I need to replace the chainring currently on ... as it is originally from a triple, won't it have ramps on the outer edge to shift up to what would have been the outer? Would be looking at 24/26t for the inner, and 36/38t for the outer.

Ideally, I want to spend max of £20 on 1 chainring, or max of £30 on 2.

Failing that, anyone know where I can get a single-specific 5-arm chainring, probably in 30/32t flavour?

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No way will it cost you near £100 to do the crankset and BB and mech.....

A used crankset with rings can be had off ebay for about £15, a front mech about a fiver, likewise for the front shifter!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    deore M615 just under £100 for rear mech, crank & BB from merlin
  • kevinharley
    The Rookie wrote:
    No way will it cost you near £100 to do the crankset and BB and mech.....

A used crankset with rings can be had off ebay for about £15, a front mech about a fiver, likewise for the front shifter!

No, possibly not, and TBH, I've not looked yet on ebay for that sort of very cheap stuff ...

But have been looking on the Bikeradar classifieds, and also put out a 'wanted' ad, and what's coming back is:
    - £40-£55 - double chainset (Deore/SLX+ bash/FSA+bash) with 'light' previous use, and BB
    - £20 - £25 for deore / slx / x5 front mech / shifter
    - £10 for new gear cable and full outer (needed for Inbred frame)
    - £25 Labour to remove BB, install everything, and set up gears.

I will probably try to fit it all myself, so that would save me £25 if I can... I have changed a square taper BB before (and thinking about it, I think my son's, although used, was only put in when I built his bike up last year, so it may not be seized to the BB shell) ... but I am crap at setting up gears :roll: :oops: ... is setting up a front mech easier or harder than a rear?!!

It'd be great to do it all for £25 as you suggest ... and I may well end up doing so ... but guess I am a bit wary of what kind of quality / wear and tear you'd get at prices that low?

I was going to PM you actually 'The Rookie' ... (I've got some stuff from you before, and you're quite often helping people out with bits and pieces they need) ... to see whether you had any of the above?

Cheers
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    PM away, I do have some stuff......

Setting up gears is easier than fitting the cranks......

Those prices are all very high, rip off level (except for the SLX), you can get a Deore new for sub £50!

If you go external bearing you'll need the BB shell faced costing circa £20-30 unless you are happy to gamble on bearing life.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kevinharley
    The Rookie wrote:
    PM away, I do have some stuff......

Right ... will PM you shortly ...

Funds are definitely too tight at the moment to fork out £100 on his bike (plus facing the BB shell!), so will see what you have and / or trawl ebay for cheap stuff!

Alternatively, I might just pilfer the 2x10 set up from my wife's Fury, swap stuff over, and deal with her bike at a later date ... she doesn't really ride it much anyway ... but that would just be delaying sorting the problem really ...

:idea: Actually, I might do that, and convert hers to 1x10 anyway ... but does anyone know where I can get hold of a decent single front chainring, 5-arm, without it costing £40--£50 for the RaceFace WNW types?
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    I should have a triple xt crankset that's in the shed taking up space, was on my trance when I got it, chain rings shouldn't be in too bad condition, believe one or two are fairly new, and I'm certain it uses a square taper BB, the BB was shot though, if you are interested PM me and I'll dig it out the shed and send a few photos so you can see it, was looking at putting it on the other half's Scott but she doesn't ride enough so it can be yours for postage and a few beer tokens.