Sourcing replacement bearing cones

andyeb
andyeb Posts: 407
edited April 2014 in The workshop
I need to try and find a source of replacement bearing parts for a Dahon Speed D7, more specifically the rear drive-side cone is completely pitted.

Usually I buy online from CH White for Dahon spares, but unable to find any bearings on their website. The closest I can find is a replacement wheel, which seems totally over the top for a replacement cone!

Is anyone aware of a good place to go for this sort of thing? I have no idea if it's a Dahon-specific part or not.

Any ideas and suggestions gratefully received!

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The chance of it being a Dahon specific part is zero.

Try taking a cone to your LBS and seeing if a spare is the same dimensions!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • andyeb
    andyeb Posts: 407
    After taking measurements off the cones with digital callipers and doing some research online, I eventually found somewhere that would sell me nearly identical cones. Placed an order, which then got cancelled 3 days later because the products had been discontinued :roll:

Eventually, I ordered replacement front/rear hubs, with axles, from foldingbikes.biz (who I've used before for Dahon-specific spares), for about the same cost as just the cones and swapped both axles out. They arrived next day and my bike is now back on the road.

...it runs rather better now too :D