How do mail order bikes arrive ??

Tjgoodhew
Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Im just curious as to how they actually arrive and what is already set up and what isnt ??

I am about to buy a Rose and apart from the basic bike maintenance stuff i am pretty much a novice. Im not expecting a frame and a box of parts but at the same time its obviously not going to be arrive fully built and set up and be able to ride out the box

I am happy enough indexing gears, and adjusting brakes as well as the simple stuff which im guessing will be needed but if i actually have to put the whole thing together i might struggle.
Cannondale Caad8
Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt

Comments

• brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    Depends on the company. They are usually near enough set up, wheels out, seatpost / saddle out, stem loostend and twisted to right angles then bar rotated under frame and packing strapped in place. Some fine tuning is only common sense since you will be trusting your life to it. Would you let someone else pack you a parachute?
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I was tempted to say 'post'...but I won't.

It varies but generally you'll need to put the handlebar & stem back in place and tighten the headset. Very easy, video on line if need be.

I've had some where I a needed to set up the brakes & gears which is a little more tricky but something you should learn to do anyway to save money.. You'll need allen keys and maybe a phillips screwdriver. Others don't need this as they come pretty well set up - not sure about yours though.

If you really don't want to do any of this, just take it to the local bike shop to set up - they will charge you though.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    The last one I bought (Canyon) needed me to bolt the bars onto the stem, put the wheels on and stick the seatpost in.
    Everything else was already done and the gears were perfectly indexed.
  • Tjgoodhew wrote:
    Im just curious as to how they actually

A Storck delivers them. :D
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    My Felt Z4 from Wiggle arrived fully assembled apart from the bars had to be fitted to the stem. Took 5 minutes. I also had to adjust the seat height but that would be expected.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    From experience, if you order from Evans, it will be delivered by Parcel Freight in a box that is pissed wet through and full of holes. You'll need to align the stem with the wheel and set the bars to your preferred angle. Then you'll discover both mechs need setting up correctly :lol:
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    you need to buy through a good lbs and depend on them to help you out. there are bad shops (green/yellow flavour) but the smaller ones are better.

the internet model does not cater for people like you. when I see guys on £4000 bikes who use their quick releases like wing nuts instead of a cam, I despair for this sport. There are people who should never have stopped playing golf and taken up cycling. A bike is a lot more techincal than a Big Bertha.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Tjgoodhew
    you need to buy through a good lbs and depend on them to help you out. there are bad shops (green/yellow flavour) but the smaller ones are better.

the internet model does not cater for people like you. when I see guys on £4000 bikes who use their quick releases like wing nuts instead of a cam, I despair for this sport. There are people who should never have stopped playing golf and taken up cycling. A bike is a lot more techincal than a Big Bertha.

This is why i ask the question.

I say i am a novice but i am learning quickly. If something needs fixing i see if i can do it myself. On my current bike my gears needed indexing so i learnt myself. I needed to replace brake blocks so i did it myself, i had some chain rub on the front - sorted myself. I had an issue with my Bottom Bracket creaking which i didnt feel comfortable with so i let the LBS sort it.

If the bike just needs a few minor nuts and bolts screwed in and a slight bit of fiddling then why shouldnt "people like me" be able to benefit from lower prices and wider choice
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

• IShaggy
    IShaggy Posts: 301
    Wasn't there a post on here a couple of years ago from some fella who'd ordered a bike for his father in-law, only for the father in-law to receive a box full of parts?

If not then I'm having some strange dreams of late :shock:
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    OP, take a look at the Rose website. You have probably done so in order to configure your bike.
    On the website you will be able to see a sidebar with a help button (on the right), click that then from the left sidebar select "Bike Delivery" and the lovely former pro road racer Marcel Wüst will show you how it's done in a video lasting 3.30 minutes. You will require a couple of Allen Keys and you will need to do the following:
    Fit wheels using QR skewers
    Twist handlebars to the correct position and secure
    Fit pedals
    Adjust saddle height and tighten seat post clamp

My Rose arrives at the end of this week, I have complete faith in my abilities to carry out these 4 tasks and I'm a ham-fisted idiot.
    PM me if you want any other advice or opinion.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Genesis bike come in box not big enough for an complete build. The front brake is not fitted neither is the saddle or seat post, handle bars are strapped to the frame. Rear brake pads are skewif e.t.c

On the other hand Tifosi's from Chicken cycles come in a huge box and the bike is fully assembled but the stem is twisted. They are also assembled properly with very few if any build issues to address. So yes it depneds on the company. I would mail order a Tifosi I would not mail order a Genesis unless the buyer is a good mechanic.

Rose may be different again but given there business is mail order bike I suspect they have made it easy.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    As I have explained.
  • string78
    string78 Posts: 59
    Have had my Rose Xeon CRS for 3 weeks now - more than pleased with my purchase.

As already confirmed, you just need to set up wheels, seat post, handle bar and pedals. Gears and brakes are ready to go.

What model are you looking to go with?
  • Here you go, this is how mine arrived....

DSC00461_zps8006a5b1.jpg

Pop the front wheel and seatpost in (seatpost will have saddle already attached).

Turn the bars and align the brake/shifter levers so they're pointing straight down.

Attach pedals

Adjust seatpost height, fore/aft on saddle to suit.

Take pictures against a white background, in the big ring, crankarm following the line of the seat tube or chainstay, driveside facing the camera. Then post on here.

Ride.

For what it's worth, Rose are one of the best companies I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. Their support is tremendous, their returns policy and warranty is excellent too.

Follow their online sizing tool, it is spot on in my experience, and remember, once your bike arrives, if you don't like any of the components, you can swap them for free within 30days of receiving your bike.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Thanks everyone.

On that basis i have no fear in ordering as the above things are pretty straightforward and have no issues doing any of those.

Im pretty set on a Rose and after reading various posts on here i have no doubt i will love it

Now just need to wait till the end of April so i have enough pennies
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

• IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    Got my bike from WIggle, arrived by courier in a box, took it out put on wheels and handlebars and went for a ride!

Came with gears all working perfectly, everything bar the handlebars at perfect torgue, I didn't even have to oil the chain!!!
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Jon_1976 wrote:
    From experience, if you order from Evans [...] then you'll discover both mechs need setting up correctly :lol:

This happens even when you buy from a bricks and mortar shop!
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Tjgoodhew wrote:
    Im just curious as to how they actually

A Storck delivers them. :D
    Can you buy Storck's by mail order?
    I was considering a Storck Aernario but they were rather pricey at the LBS! :wink:
    I'm surprised Marcus Storck delivers them personally or is it some other member of his family?