Newbie advice

rapleyr
rapleyr Posts: 20
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Good afternoon,

I know this sort of question must get asked a million times but I here I go anyway;

I am looking to get into road biking due to a bad knee injury and cycling being the only sport I can participate in.

I have been presented with two options from both online and a local bike shop and would like advice as both are within the price point I had intended to spend, I am 6ft 5'' so choosing from 2013 sale stock is almost impossible but came up with the cube;

Merida ride alloy 90 2014 - £599
Cube peleton compact 2013 - £519

thanks in advance for you advice

Comments

• ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    I think they'd all be good choices.
    I'm less familiar with the Merida but all of these are good manufacturers and good prices.
    If you're not sure about sizing and set-up I'd suggest buying locally from a good bike shop so they can size the bike correctly and set it up for you. Starting with a suitable saddle position will be especially important if your knees are vulnerable to aggravation. I'd also recommend speedplay zero pedals if you're getting clipless pedals either now or later. They provide almost friction free float (lateral rotation) which can make a big difference in keeping your knees comfortable. Even without knee problems they'd be my choice of pedal.
  • rapleyr
    thank very much, I think the size is my biggest issue and therefore a local shop is best, I suppose there is no point saving money or getting a slightly better bike if it doesn't fit!
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    rapleyr wrote:
    thank very much, I think the size is my biggest issue and therefore a local shop is best, I suppose there is no point saving money or getting a slightly better bike if it doesn't fit!

Very much this;I was tempted by a nice heavily discounted bike without properly checking the sizing(note also that not all frame sizes are the same,even those from one manufacturer) and then finding out at a bike fit that it was a couple of sizes too big.
    I think most good bike shops incorporate a basic fit included in the price of a bike,you might get a deal with pedals and shoes as well.It may be worth going for a lower groupset specced bike with a good frame which can be upgraded to lessen the initial cost.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • rapleyr
    Went for the Merida as I felt i felt it was the safest bet. All ordered and coming Wednesday and they will do a full fit on a treadmill thing to make sure it is ok. Brought a load of kit as well and got a good discount.

Really happy and now eager to start riding the bike and getting fit again

Thanks for the replies
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Merida make bikes for Specialized, I think they own half of Specialized too (I could be wrong).