Bont Vaypors

pedalbasher
pedalbasher Posts: 215
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Ordered 2 pairs of Bont Vaypors - one size 41 and one size 42.

Online sizing chart puts me at 41 but they are WAY too tight, so the only option is the 42.

Just how uncomfortable should these things be before heat moulding? Even with the straps pretty loose, they feel very tight over the mid-foot but too much space around the fore-foot (in particular, left foot feels it is swimming).

The left foot is rubbing where the buckle is - I think where the carbon sole (it's like a bathtub) meets the upper, there's a sort of ridge which is digging in.

On my right foot, my last 2 toes (little toe and one next to it) are rubbing against the front/side of the shoe.

I just don't know how much heat moulding will change all this. At the moment, they're hugely uncomfortable and there's no way I'd be wearing them for rides if the comfort doesn't improve dramatically. But I'm reluctant to stick them in the oven if doing so won't change the comfort THAT much, as obviously can't send them back then.

Just wondered what others' experiences are.

Cheers

Comments

• Steve236
    Steve236 Posts: 212
    But I'm reluctant to stick them in the oven if doing so won't change the comfort THAT much, as obviously can't send them back then.
    Yes you can. Just don't burn them.
  • Steve236 wrote:
    But I'm reluctant to stick them in the oven if doing so won't change the comfort THAT much, as obviously can't send them back then.
    Yes you can. Just don't burn them.

if I bought a pair of Bonts from a retailer as new and someone had heat moulded them and sent them back before that I'd be furious - I don't think you can return them if they've been heat moulded as I don't think any reputable retailer would re-sell them.

OP - Have you considered if you need the Wide Fit models?
  • pedalbasher
    Thanks both.

I'm not sure about sending them back. Seems a bit off to me and I'd probably be annoyed if I received a pair that had clearly been moulded by someone else.

Went to the local store at lunch and tried on a few different brands and sizes. Got on really well with the Giro Factors so think I'm going to go with those in a 41.5. The different arch support inserts work well with my funny shaped feet and out of the box they feel like super-stiff slippers. Not cheap and I'm not going to look for an online bargain as I appreciate the help the guy in the shop gave me.... but worth it as I have such weird feet and they should give me a few years of considerably better comfort.
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    I have 44 narrows and I don't think they'll even have to see an oven, so your experience sounds like one where they'll see the inside of an oven a lot.

Do you keep them and experiment or do you cut your losses and get S-works? That is the question....

If you're one of these newbies who can't even change a flat then send both pairs back now. If you're a real man who can take the cleats on and off multiple times (don't forget you need to remove all hardware including the toothed straps when you bake them) then you could potentially end up with the best shoes you've ever worn.

Sounds like for each foot you need more room. The literature with the shoes says to heat them first and wear them (without walking in them of course) and then try the blunt tool shaping on any areas that still pinch. Wear thick-ish socks when you try the heat-moulding to pad out the tight areas a bit.

If you do 1 or 2 general heat moulds followed by 1-2 spot moulds and still don't like them, there are some shops who'll help with the process. (the above is from a friend who's a fitter at a big london store)
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • pedalbasher
    I'm not a newbie who can't change a puncture, but I can't afford to take a punt on a £200 pair of shoes that feel like a torture device out of the box (and if yours don't even need to go in the oven, mine must be seriously bad fitting because they're not comfy at all).

Sending them back. Tried on others that fit perfectly in the shop, so what's the point in taking a risk on the Bont's? It's a shame as they are great looking and feel incredibly stiff and well made.
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    Just ignore the walloper above and send them back. I doubt they'll work for you. I had a similar experience and after molding them about 6 times (as well as using the blunt tool trick) they didn't get any better.

I'd return them and go for the Giro. I settled on a pair of Giro Empire and they're the best shoes I've had.

There's a lot of hype about Bont as well as more and more pro's using them, but I think they're the kind of shoes they either work for you or they don't.
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Out of interest the shoes you tried on in the shop, that you went on to buy, did you buy them from the dsme shop ir get them cheaper on line?
  • pedalbasher
    Bonts have gone back. I'm planning to head back down to the shop to pick up the Giros before the end of the week. He's already knocked a few quid off so I'm happy to go to the shop rather than hunt online to save a few extra ££s.

Sounds like Bonts just aren't for everyone. I'd literally never put on a less comfortable pair of shoes in my life! And the sizing was right because I bought my usual size and a size up... odd.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,832
    Bonts aren't for everyone. I've used Giro, Sidi, Shimano and now use Bonts. I think they are amazing and wouldn't use anything else. Only heat moulded them once.

They feel uncomfortable off the bike and to walk in. But on the bike they're amazing, and that's what counts.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Bonts have gone back. I'm planning to head back down to the shop to pick up the Giros before the end of the week. He's already knocked a few quid off so I'm happy to go to the shop rather than hunt online to save a few extra ££s.

Sounds like Bonts just aren't for everyone. I'd literally never put on a less comfortable pair of shoes in my life! And the sizing was right because I bought my usual size and a size up... odd.

Give the DMT Prisma a look too. I have wide feet and found the DMTs to be a perfect fit. They also have mouldable soles should you need to tweak them a little.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.