Schwalbe Ultremo ZX Tyres

Willmur
Willmur Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Are these tyres any good? they seem very expensive but found them on this site for cheaper and thought they might be worth it? anyone any experience with them? just really after a good all rounder?http://www.onyerbikeonline.com/bike_parts/tyres-tubes/schwalbe-ultremo-zx-tyres/#tab-description

Comments

• supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Great tyres imo, suffer from nicks, but I only ever had one p******* in over 3000 miles. Just got a free set after the recall, so I'm on them tonight.
  • Willmur
    Willmur Posts: 7
    Thats good going, wish i was that lucky! :( i'll get a set ordered tonight
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Great tyre, if you get the version with the V-Guard puncture protection. It looks like the version that's on offer has the older HD puncture protection, which got varied reviews. Personally, I had a set of the HD tyres and whilst the soft rubber did suffer from nicks, I only had one puncture. This was such a bad cut in the tyre that I'd be amazed if any tyre survived.

Other than the puncture protection, they're great tyres, very supple, fast and grippy; great in the corners ! There's a good chance that I'll be getting some ove the newer version 'The One' to try this summer.

I believe that Wiggle have the newer V-Guard version of the Ultremo for the same price as you have posted in your link.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    £22.49 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-ultrem ... tyre-2013/

That's not expensive IMHO.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    They are great tyres - it's what I race on.
    Insert bike here:
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    They're good, but they have their place and that's as a race tyre not an all-weather touring tyre.

If you do a search on here you'll find plenty of people (myself included) who have used them in rough conditions only to find a set trashed quite quickly. As others have said, nicks in the rubber and damage to the sidewalls are common in these instances, but don't let that put you off. They are fantastic tyres in appropriate conditions and £22.50 is a bargain!
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    They're great, which is why they're expensive.

They're cheaper now b/c the new top dog is called One or something like that: http://www.schwalbe.com/gb/schwalbe-one.html
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,044
    In my experience they are unreliable, prone to going out of shape suddenly (happened to mine and a mate of mine) and threads coming away at the side all the way round (the replacements Schwalbe sent me). They do feel nice and grip well though but you can get the same performance but better reliability from the likes of Michelin ProRace imo. Schwalbe motorscooter tyres have a smilar reputation for bulging apparently.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    DeV brings up a good point, one that I experienced recently but forgot.

In Mallorca this month I had some 2 year old Ultremos on my bike (23mm front, 28mm rear) and both were inflated no more than 105 psi, but after a very hilly day (I'm 85 kg and love my hard braking and fast cornering) the rear especially deveoped a bulge. I thought it was my rim but they were true.

I chalked it up to too much pressure/heat from the hill braking, however, both tyres were 2 years old and had been relegated to training tyres. If it happened in the first 1000kms I'd be pissed, but I don't think it's a major negative. Even tho I can feel a wobble above 50 kph, b/c I know what the wobble is from, it's not unsettling.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I had a set and couldn't stand the way threads used to peel away from the sidewalls. Drove my OCD over the edge. They rode nice, but they cut-up very easily.
  • I had the version from over a year ago so didnt have the v-guard protection. Very good tyre but i would only use them in nice weather, i got too many nicks in mine over autumn and winter, they do tend to cut up easy. Had a few punctures too.
    But when they work they work great, roll well and great grip.