Just pulled the trigger...

mrfpb
mrfpb Posts: 4,569
edited April 2014 in Commuting chat
... On a. Genesis CdF 2014.

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... ross-bikes

15% off at Edinburgh bike co-op. (Ends today)
12 months interest free credit. No worries about cycle schemes complicating my pension and tax credits.

I looked at the Kaffenback for ages, but the sale price and credit terms swung it for me. I'm quite happy to take Sora over Tiagra, as I've been riding cheap shimano for 9 years on my Ridgeback Speed.

Comments

• I have the 2013 version, really nice bike but weighs a fuggin tonne. Also swapped the stock tyres for Vittoria Cross XN Pro's.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mrfpb
    This is my first drop bar bike after nine years on a 15kg hybrid, so it'll be light for me. I think the CDF is 12kg. I'm not a weight weenie or KoM chaser, more fully loaded commuter or day tourer. Doing ridelondonsurrey100 this summer so wanted something to do that and the longer commutes.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    mrfpb wrote:
    Doing ridelondonsurrey100 this summer so wanted something to do that and the longer commutes.

I hope you have suitable gears for Leith Hill ;-)
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    drlodge wrote:
    mrfpb wrote:
    Doing ridelondonsurrey100 this summer so wanted something to do that and the longer commutes.

I hope you have suitable gears for Leith Hill ;-)

I think you meant to say, I hope you can man the fudge up Leith Hill... gearing schmeering
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    34 x 30 ... you'll be fine.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Nice, I've got a Genesis Day 01. Probably a very similar frame to yours. Its pretty heavy, but really comfortable to ride. Enjoy!
  • 39 x 25 is fine for leith assuming they've balanced the scaffolding tubes with a nice chainset but you'll need get growing those leg muscles
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • mrfpb
    I did the Moonride L2B last year on my hybrid. I was defeated by Ditchling Beacon, as the bike refused to shift into granny gear half way up. To be fair, it was 5:00am and I'd been awake for about 20 hrs, but it's an experience I'd like to avoid this time around.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Nice bike. Have you taken it for a test ride? I dislike inboards disc brakes because I get heel strike, but if you don't, good on ya.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,328
    I rode one when a friend got one last summer. Rode really well, didn't feel as heavy once you were on it.
  • mrfpb
    Got the bike yesterday and took it around the block and up the canal path. Despite saying in the blurb that it fits mudguards, they wouldn't go on with the 35mm tyres. Not a problem at the moment, but I have some 28mm tyres hanging in the garage that will do when I have a moment to fit them. May get some 25 mm before the RLS 100 event.

Went out on a regular 10 mile loop tonight and I now feel it's Christmas and I got the best toy in the whole street! A great ride.

Drop bars will take getting used to, but they felt good for my first proper ride with them. Harder work to point the bike straight when out of the saddle, but that's the only negative for the bars. Need to push the saddle back a bit and get rid of the to clips on the pedals (get new pedals)

As mentioned above it's noticeably lighter than my hybrid, but no suprise there. A little achy at the bottom of my bike, again no suprise. Need to sort out the fit bit more.

Overall I'm dead chuffed.
  • Yup, the 'guards don't seem to fit with 35mm tyres - I've seen lots of bodge jobs, especially on the front.

They are lovely bikes, you did well.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Unless you're off road does anyone need 35mm tyres?
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    Slowbike wrote:
    Unless you're off road does anyone need 35mm tyres?
    My winter spiked tyres are 35mm, so it's a shame that this is another bike to cross off the potential bike list :(
  • mrfpb
    My hybrid has 32mm tyres on, left on over winter. It originally came with mudguards and 38mm tyres, so swapping over is not a problem for me. The hybrid is going to be doing trail/canal outings with the kids most of the year so the 35mm tyres won't go to waste.
  • I got one about 8 weeks ago and I'm really enjoying it. I honestly feel I could go just about anywhere on it.

It's very comfy for commuting as well as weekend rides, and as for the weight well it may be a bit heavy but then so am I.

I haven't changed anything yet, but I am starting to think a different saddle may be a good idea for me
    2014 Genesis CDF
    2010 Boardman MTB Comp

Gifted enough to extract twice the fat and calories from any food.....