Are these Epicons forked?

Cave_Dweller
Cave_Dweller Posts: 114
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought a set of Suntour Epicons to last me until payday next month when I can look into getting a high end fork. I can't complain for the price because at least I can get out and ride, but I am a bit unsure about them.

They can suck up big hits and bumps just fine but riding along more constant small bumps like gravel or tree stumps they just feel rigid and don't seem to have much compliance towards the smaller bumps. Standing up and bouncing they feel pretty good for the price and I can't fault them.

I've tried all sorts of settings with them and it's the same no matter what and there's no oil leaks or excessive wear. Is it just the way these forks work or are they forked...har har :roll: The only thing I can seem to put my finger on about the problem is the way these forks flex, they are not the stiffest things in the world.

I'm unsure of what model/year they are, to be honest I got them cheap so I could at least get out there on my bike because I don't have the funds at the moment to get some nice Pikes or something similar. Roll on the end of next month I say! They have very basic settings, air sprung on one side and rebound on the other, internal travel adjustment from 140-80mm and lock out.

Here's a picture of them on my unfinished Dr Jekyll for anyone who might know.
13452069145_054a761957_k.jpg

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Might just need a service. I drop the lowers off my forks clean everything up and re assemble with fresh oil and grease every 6 months or so. They always feel loads better for it probably because the oil volumes are so small these days the oil gets worn out and and collects all the gunk, the colour of the used oil is always darker and thicker than the fresh oil.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Thanks but you can't change the oil in these forks, it's a sealed cartridge. I could replace the whole cartridge or send them away but they are only temporary forks. Apart from that servicing everything else is a piece of wee. You can take the lowers off over a shag pile rug if you really wanted, no oil spill at all and it's easy from then to change the travel within 5minutes.

I might just take them all apart and give them a good clean inside and lube all the seals. I have to lower the travel from 140mm for my Dr Jekyll frame anyway, feels like a chopper just now lol.
  • I gave them a quick squirt with some fork oil down the seals and seems to be a bit better so you're probably right. They just need a good clean and service. I'll get on it tomorrow before I cause more problems.