washing apparel

2»

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    ddraver wrote:
    Hmm, well perhaps i'm a bit precious with mine then

i wasn my bike kit together with other sports kit only and use a sensitive detergent or if I'm flush a sports wear specific thing (usually what ever is cheapest off of Wiggle/CRC). usually on the 30deg Delicates setting.

The main reasons are that it cuts down washing something sensitive on a high heat or with something damaging by accident (been there...) and that i find that normal detergents can encourage itchy cracks. Plus, as said, the sports wear stuff makes synthetic base layers less rank on lower temp washes.

The Merino stuff i have (not a lot) usually goes in with my standard wolly jumpers that need more careful handling anyway

I'm not convinced that cycling clothing, shorts in particular, are "sensitive" or "delicates". I've got shorts, jerseys , etc. that I've used for years and most are still in good repair.

On a different note I did read(somewhere) that the reason synthetic clothes retain odors is because the material is positively charged and that positive charge attracts one of the two types of sweat(the smelly one). Unfortunately that was all that was mentioned in the little blurb that I spotted. Nothing about a cure or detergent types.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    I am note sure they are that delicate (merino and similar excepted) more that being technical fabrics, they work better washed simply - cheap wash powder being better than expensive with built in fabric conditioners etc.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    So this is really a question for mother raver but are "sensitive" detergents sensitive to the clothes or to the wearers skin?!?!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,881
    Just put it in the laundry basket and wait a couple of days. It always appears on the bed smelling fresh a couple of days later.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    monkimark wrote:
    Just put it in the laundry basket and wait a couple of days. It always appears on the bed smelling fresh a couple of days later.

I wish!

In the machine for me on the low temperature wool wash programme with supermarket (Morrisons) own-brand delicates liquid. That's gentle enough for the Merino and 30 degree stuff and seems to be effective enough for everything else.