7900 brakes rubbing

trevb71
trevb71 Posts: 21
edited April 2014 in Workshop
Hi, ive just swapped my wheels over from xxx racelite tubular to aeolus 5 clincher and fitted new pads, i have dura ace 7900 brakes. And when i release the quick release and even loosen the cable, the pads are rubbing the wheel hard, can i open the caliper any further? ? Ive taken the inner washer off the brake pad and that worked, but ive just read that is need for pad alignment.

many thanks
Trev

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    trevb71 wrote:
    Hi, ive just swapped my wheels over from xxx racelite tubular to aeolus 5 clincher and fitted new pads, i have dura ace 7900 brakes. And when i release the quick release and even loosen the cable, the pads are rubbing the wheel hard, can i open the caliper any further? ? Ive taken the inner washer off the brake pad and that worked, but ive just read that is need for pad alignment.

many thanks
    Trev

I'm going to assume that you mean that the brake pads won't clear the TIRE as opposed to not clearing the rim. Try letting the air out of the tire.
  • trevb71
    no mate, there gripping the rim not the tyre.
    cheers
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    picture would help but sounds like you have a wider rim and the brake needs setting up from scratch again
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    So if you release the 5mm allen key bolt for the cable, they still rub? that's not possible, unless you ve some seriously wide brake blocks.
    Make sure the cable adjustment nut is screwed down to its lowest position as well.

You need to look at Shimano tech docs /7900 brakes and set them up again....but given that you are struggling with your brakes, I suggest, without want to sound rude, you take it to a bike shop or similar.
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 746237.pdf
  • trevb71
    yeah 5mm allen key is unlocked,and cable is loose with lot of slack, brake pads r yellow swiss stop.
    i think i'll start from scratch if not take it to the shop.
    thanks to both you for your help
    cheers trev
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    ...the pad holders are nt catching on the frame, stopping the caliper from opening out?
  • trevb71
    no mate there not, but i think ive sorted it now.
    thanks for everyones help cheers
  • dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    great, what was the fix? (for anyone with similar issue in the future that searches)
  • trevb71
    there's an allen bolt opposite side to the cable, ive unwound it(its sticking out a bit) and its a aloud the caliper to open up. yeah i know alot of you are thinking dipsh*t, but reasonbly new to biking again after 23 years.
    thanks for everybody's help
    cheers Trev