Cervelo S3 2014 - updated picture

2»

Comments

• That is a beautiful machine...Enjoy it!
    I really like those bottle cages. Can you share the brand/model?
  • Cheshire Cat
    Cheshire Cat Posts: 309
    Hi, thanks, the bottle cages are Bontrager, closest colour match to the frame.
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • adowling92
    adowling92 Posts: 225
    Vair niceeee!
    Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. --John F. Kennedy
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Drool.
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • Cheshire Cat
    Cheshire Cat Posts: 309
    edited February 2015
    Thought I would share an update on my S3 - over the summer I ran a pair of Shimano Dura-Ace C50s, which rolled very well, especially when up to speed, but were absolute pigs when the brakes were applied. When braking the pads felt like they were snatching, instead of applying a constant pressure against the rim, from the lever it felt like a judder. This was especially so with the rear wheel; I was using Swiss Stop pads, the correct pad for an alloy rim, when switching the pads out for carbon specific pads to use with my Enves I never had the problem. This was noticeable from when I originally collected the wheels, initially I thought set-up, and faffed about trying to improve the braking. No joy...I mentioned it to the guys in the shop from where I purchased the wheels and they said bring them in to be checked under warranty. Two weeks after dropping them off I received a full refund, no ifs, buts or questions asked, and no mention of a replacement pair of wheels. Not the first pair of C50s to be returned with the same fault apparently...so, I now have in their place a rather nice pair of Roval CLX 60s, finally got round to fitting them.
    S3Rovals_zpsace8309f.jpg

Additionally, I treated myself to some new bars, in keeping with the aero theme I changed the original 3t Ergonovas for some 3t Aeronovas; not so keen on the bar tape now it's on, that will be changed.
    AeronovaBars_zps3a4a77d8.jpg
    Aeronova2_zps35d8818a.jpg
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • Oh Dear God! Sweet set up and really love that bar. Personally, i'd go with tan-walled tubs as it just looks so 'Belgian pro' in my opinion but still super nice bike!
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Lovely. Have the new carbon bars added to the ride comfort at all?
  • The saddle needs to be levelled and I would swap the bottle cages for a bit of contrast
    left the forum March 2023
  • DKay wrote:

Haven't ridden it since fitting the bars, I can say that they seem to extend the reach by at least a cm, but that could just be me, I haven't been on it since it was last used, and that was in September - been using my work bike and cross bike since, could just be the fact it is a racier position than my other two.

Ugo - you're right about the saddle, I'm guessing it has slipped, the last ride was from Manchester to London, so it could have moved a little. Regarding the cages, I initially tried them the opposite way, but it doesn't look right.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Looks very, very nice. Proper bike that.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Lovely looking bikes!

Can I ask how much they weight?
  • Hi,

it's a size 58cm and weighs in at 7.62kg on my uncalibrated Argos fisherman scales, so give or take 100gr.
  • DKay wrote:

Update on the Aeronova carbon bars, after a few miles of use...well, a bit more than a few.

If you are a Kittel wanna be they are not the bar for you, there is noticeable flex when really pulling on them i.e. a sprint or hard effort over a crest. If you like to maintain a steady pace, keep a good position and not constantly apply force in a stoopid big gear that require a lot of pulling force against the bar they are great. Very comfortable, the position is the same as the Ergonova's, except the road buzz is greatly reduced. Climbing is comfortable, the wider profile makes for a nice hand position. They look fast...are they faster? Of course they are! No scientific proof, but a red bike and aero-bars, of course they're faster, makes complete sense.

The Rovals, done as many miles as the bars, lovely wheels, do exactly what it say's on the tin. Tyres are easy to fit, brakes are issue free in the dry (Swiss Stop yellow pads), not tried them in the rain yet. Descending off the Cat and Fiddle into Wildboreclough they stopped very well in deed, no grabbing and no worrying fade. Yes, it was cold so the rims cooled quickly, but they offered confident braking, far more than the C50's they replaced.
  • mattbarnes
    mattbarnes Posts: 295
    This is still one of my favourite bikes ever. It looks absolutely stunning.
    Society is like a stew. You have to stir things up now and again otherwise the scum will rise to the top.
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    Cheers for the update on the bars.