Wanna Full sus 29er, ideas?

barryleng
barryleng Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
like the title says
I ride trail, xc and a bit of downhill, in that order of ammount. But i do go for rides that'll include all three. am interested to see what people suggest
Thank ytou

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For real DH, not a 29er, for more enduro style DH a 29er would be OK but why not a 650B?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Trek Remedy 29, Specialized Enduro 29 or Intense Tracer 29 depending on your budget.
    29ers aren't good for proper downhill. The wheels are too flexy and they don't steer well enough.
  • Please forgive my ignorance, and spelling lol

Not riden a 27.5er bike. Had numerous 26 inch wheeled bikes (got stuck on carrera bike for a while, had two vulcans, both were superb, a kracken, which while a good bike, i found isn't as nice or fun to ride as the vulcan which is half the price, and a 2009 banshee x, which i've put a fsa vdrive crankset, better cassette and shimano xt gear system on, and its wonderful to ride, just a bit tiring, guess that's due to the weight and the relatively smaller wheels) that i have had sooo much fun on. Bought a voodoo azain 29er, which reviews weren't superb about, but i really enjoy it (only failings in my opinion, forks are rubbish and saddle a bit hard, but not uncomfortably so. Its so much more efficient. Can ride it farther, faster and for longer over everything, its just having the comfort of a full suspension that i miss.

I am also not liking this lower head set thing most newer bikes have, am used to a more upright riding position. Can get a hi riser handle bar, but wont that change the handling and balance as highish end (£2500ish) bikes are designed to have lower stems?
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    The Rookie wrote:
    For real DH, not a 29er, for more enduro style DH a 29er would be OK but why not a 650B?
    Agreed, I'd go for a 27.5. Better all round.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    High bars are terrible for downhill and any technical riding. There's a good reason why the bars are low on most bikes.
    Have a look at the Nukeproof Mega TR and Mega AM.
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    For full sus 29ers take a look at the Specialized Camber Evo 29/Trek Fuel 29er/Whyte T129S. If you want something burlier and more at the enduro end of the spectrum look at the Stumpy Evo 29/Trek Remedy. There are loads of other brands making beefy full sus 29ers these days such as Transition, Commencal, Yeti, Pivot, Canyon, Kona, Norco etc.

If you want to do a bit of downhill then as others have said a 29er probably isn't ideal, although saying that I used my Trek Fuel 29er (with Fox 34s) in the alps last summer. My wheels needed truing when I got back and I did feel a bit out of my depth on some of the runs, but 99% of my riding is XC in the UK and Scotland and for that a 29er is ideal (for me).