Giant Defy 5 or Trek 1.1?

montypec
montypec Posts: 30
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Looking for entry level road bike, for general fitness riding/enjoyment. LBS is getting these two in my size for me to try. Any views on which may be the better option, apart from actual fit/feel. Cheers.

Comments

• KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    I would say once you know what size you need, go online, from wiggle, you can get this

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-f95-sora-wiggle-exclusive/

It's better spec than any of the bikes you say, and I don't think you will regret it.

Some will say get your first bike from a lbs, but mates of mine always buy online, then use the cash they save to get a proper bike for done.
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • IrishMac
    IrishMac Posts: 328
    KevChallis wrote:
    I would say once you know what size you need, go online, from wiggle, you can get this

It's better spec than any of the bikes you say, and I don't think you will regret it.

Some will say get your first bike from a lbs, but mates of mine always buy online, then use the cash they save to get a proper bike for done.

Granted its a good bike, but you can't go and do that now that the shop is getting in bikes to try out.
    If you do that on a shop, they mightn't be too receptive towards you in the future and who are you going to have to go to when something needs adjusting/fixing?

Whichever bike you go for Montypec, it will do you stellar service, don't think I've ever read a bad review about a Trek or Giant bike. I had a Trek 1.2 before, didn't realize just how good it was until I sold it :(
    Member of Cuchulainn C.C. @badcyclist

Raleigh SP Race
    Trek 1.2
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    IrishMac wrote:
    KevChallis wrote:

Granted its a good bike, but you can't go and do that now that the shop is getting in bikes to try out.
    If you do that on a shop, they mightn't be too receptive towards you in the future and who are you going to have to go to when something needs adjusting/fixing?

Whichever bike you go for Montypec, it will do you stellar service, don't think I've ever read a bad review about a Trek or Giant bike. I had a Trek 1.2 before, didn't realize just how good it was until I sold it :(

Granted, I didn't really think of that :/
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • montypec
    montypec Posts: 30
    Thanks for replies. As a beginner, am I likely to notice any difference between carbon and alu forks?
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    you may not notice the difference in carbon forks to start with but no doubt you will feel you should have them a little way down the road when you get into your cycling more...
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014