Pump?

Jamie1966
Jamie1966 Posts: 38
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
Whats a good pump i could get to carry in my bag incase of a puncture etc

I bought one from sports direct for about 4 quid and the fucker broke straight away!

Cheers

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Forget pumps, especially small ones, when you're out on the road, get CO2, it cuts out that five minutes of trying to get it up before you can get back on and ride.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Five minutes to get it up?
  • Anything from the Topeak morph range, all other small pumps are useless and won't get you anywhere near 110 psi. Else use gas but carry enough spare for fluffing it us or having to keep topping up.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    I do like the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HP, a little to fiddly for Club Runs IMO but great if it's to be kept in a bag.

Plus a C02 Solution.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • Initialised
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Thought that'd get a bite!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Forget pumps, especially small ones, when you're out on the road, get CO2, it cuts out that five minutes of trying to get it up before you can get back on and ride.

Except that you still need a pump anyway for when the CO2 fails (which, from plenty of reports, it does on occasion). But CO2 is worth having for those times when you get a puncture and zombies are attacking so you need to keep moving.

There's good small pumps to be found. Eg Leyzne. But ideally not the smallest like I've got as they are a bit hard work.

And never, ever buy anything from Sports Direct.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Initialised
    Yeah, I carry a Blackburn Airstik mini pump that can allegedly inflate to 160PSI, in practice it rarely gets mush above 80PSI and has a tendency to rip valves off tubes immediately after inflation.
  • I've got a Lezyne Road Drive, it works.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Frame fit pump? The connoiseur's choice.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Aah, but do they come in carbon fibre flavour?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Yeah, I carry a Blackburn Airstik mini pump that can allegedly inflate to 160PSI, in practice it rarely gets mush above 80PSI and has a tendency to rip valves off tubes immediately after inflation.

Which takes us nicely back to the OPs original question!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • kiwimatt
    kiwimatt Posts: 208
    I've got a Lezyne Road Drive, it works.
    +1. Has never let me down and as long as you don't have arms like chopsticks you can get a very decent pressure in
  • I have bontrager mini track floor plump that serves me well, can get over 100psi out of it quite easily
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Road Morph are great for roadside inflation but don't think it will serve as your main house pump, as they only last about a year if you do....or so I've been told (heads of to CRC to check prices)
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    If you are carrying it in a bag get This
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Rather than just suggest a pump - I'll give you the reasons for choosing a pump.

1) size - the smaller the pump the more times you'll have to pump the handle to get the same amount of air in.
    2) attachment - pumps held in two hands have a fairly vigorous action - if one end is directly attached to the valve then you're putting a lot of force on the valve - conversely a hose attached pump allows the wheel to be largely still
    3) holding method - hand pump or floor pump - it's easier to push against something solid
    4) measurement - how do you know what pressure you've pumped to?
    5) mounting/carrying - you need to carry/mount whatever pump you buy - think about this too.

CO2 vs manual pump - CO2 is good for quick inflation - seconds rather than a couple of minutes - but what happens when the first tube you put in deflates? Or you have 3 or 4 punctures in a ride? Also, part of the new tube installation is to put a little bit of air in it - easier to do with a normal pump.
    CO2 is good when you're in a rush and every second counts.

I have a few pumps (several bikes) - they're all mounted on the frame - one less thing to carry in the pocket.
    They're all hose attachments - I've tried the direct attachments before and you end up bashing the wheel or grinding it into the ground and hurting your hands trying to grip it all.
    They're a reasonable size - nothing "micro" - I want it to pump up this side of Christmas! They're over-specced for pressure too - so they'll do >120psi when I only need 100psi.
    The last one I bought has an inline pressure gauge - it's also a mini floor pump - it's very good - still hard work to pump up and the handle could be bigger (you need gloves on not to hurt your hands) but it easily pumps up and I accidentally over-inflated once. The downside is that the body is bigger and it only just fits on the bike and it has marked the frame where the metal bit rubbed (now covered by a bit of old inner tube).
  • gbsahne wrote:
    Road Morph are great for roadside inflation but don't think it will serve as your main house pump, as they only last about a year if you do....or so I've been told (heads of to CRC to check prices)

The MTB version of this which is a tad chunkier, so having a better handle lasted me three years without a track pump and it's still going strong even if it is a touch battered these days.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Pump + CO2
    Layzene pressure drive mini, fits in a saddle bag and gets you to 80psi without too much trouble.
    And then Co2 to get your tyres hard, quick.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Bontrager Air Rush. Good mini pump which also has CO2 cartridge compatibility. Top drawer piece of kit.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Thought that'd get a bite!

You want it bitten after you get it up :shock:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    If you re carrying it in a bag then I'd say topeak road morph. They inflate quickly and (relatively) easily. The lezyne Equivalents are equally as good but you pay a tad more for da bling
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver