Steve Worland R.I.P.

Clank
Clank Posts: 2,323
edited April 2014 in MTB general
Steve Worland, a legend of mountain biking, and mountain biking journalism, died today following a heart attack. He was 58.

From a personal stand point, his writings and reviews were instrumental in fostering my interest in mountain biking many years ago. And for that, I owe him one. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Condolences to his family and friends.

http://singletrackworld.com/2014/03/steve-worland-dies-of-heart-attack/
How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Very sad news :( Steve was one of the people who inspired me to get into journalism, his work was outstanding his views were well respected through out the industry. R.I.P Steve.
  • mattham
    mattham Posts: 75
    This is very sad.

I still remember writing to Pace as a kid asking for a brochure on their frames and forks, this must have been early 90's, maybe earlier than that, and the letter I got back with the brochure was signed by him.

One of my heroes from the early days along with people like Tomac.

My condolences to his family.

Matt
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    My mentor and the person who have me my shot in this crazy world of bike journalism. Hall of famer, no doubt.
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Sad news indeed! Goes without saying thoughts are with his family right now! Steve always came across as fair, honest and impartial and many good purchases were made on the back of his reviews! With Supersonic on the hall of fame - should've been on there already IMO.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Impartial was Steve to the ground. Was never one to write for the magazine - he wrote for the reader and told it like it was. A passion that we need to see more of from more bike journalists: and yes, it may piss your editor off! Is not all about testing high end kit, he got in at the dirty end and worked to be the best at what he did.
  • gt5xcr
    gt5xcr Posts: 77
    What sad news. Got every copy of what mountainbike magazine and always enjoyed reading his reviews e.t.c.got me into taking mtbing seriously.thoughts are with his family, r.i.p.
    GT I_DRIVE 5 XCR IN BLUE.

Ride everywhere, To/from work(12hrs work a day/5 days a week) and still the energy to hit the trails.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    Loved reading his words. Terrible news.
  • glenwatt
    glenwatt Posts: 155
    RIP, and ride on !
    Glen

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
  • HardrockRob
    HardrockRob Posts: 230
    Very sad news. Really enjoyed his articles.

R.I.P.

:(
    2015 Nukeproof Mega TR 275 in raw
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Genuinely saddened to hear of Steve's death. As others have said, his articles were part of what got me further into the sport in the early 90s. RIP
  • Loved his acticles, very sad news.

Shame the bikeradar website hasn't put anything on there frontpage

“I kill monsters and zombies with infeasibly large plasma-based weaponry”
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,871
    :(

man was a legend
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    supersonic wrote:
    Impartial was Steve to the ground. Was never one to write for the magazine - he wrote for the reader and told it like it was. A passion that we need to see more of from more bike journalists: and yes, it may wee-wee your editor off! Is not all about testing high end kit, he got in at the dirty end and worked to be the best at what he did.

That's great to hear mate. He's obviously greatly respected as said by others, thoughts are with his family and friends.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

they have - http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/artic ... ack-40564/
  • Imposter wrote:

they have - http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/artic ... ack-40564/

I stand corrected, thank you

“I kill monsters and zombies with infeasibly large plasma-based weaponry”
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Shall be missed.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • When I got into MTBing 20 years ago Steve Worland was one of the best writers of that time and his writings really made me see aspects of the sport differently and love riding all the more. Truly sad news. RIP
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Bless him, very sad stuff :(. One of the journos I pretty much trusted whatever he said. He will be missed indeed.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    Christ, just 58.

Didn't know he'd represented GB at world championships.

RIP
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    This is sad news, a great gone :(
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Awful that it can happen to an obviously fit person at a relatively young age, I always liked his writing style and the honesty that he conveyed through his work. RIP.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • aceartist
    aceartist Posts: 65
    Still hasn't sunk in ... absolute legend. Always loved reading what he had to say truly one of the greats.

R.I.P. Steve *respect*