protect your joints - pads

tails
tails Posts: 30
edited March 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

Found out recently that trying to choose elbow and knee pads is as hard as choosing tyres. I'm looking for kit that I can peddle 20 km in and deal with red route offs. Basically I'm a Gisburn, Clywd, Cannock rider, if that helps. I bought but I'm sending back some fox launch pro pads as I don't think I could peddle too easily in them. I've narrowed the field to ixs flow, poc vpd or endura mt500's. Anyone any experience of these? Or suggestions?

BTW 661 veggie pads felt a too thin

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Endura MT500 would be my choice. Get yourself on a coaching day as well. Prevention of crashes is better than protection. Pads aren't 100% crash proof.
  • tails
    I would go on some coaching but I'm afraid it would lead to faster crashing ☺. Coaching is something I think is much under used in most outdoor sports or at least my favourite 2, mountain biking and climbing.

The memory foam description is what puts me off the endura's, is it quite firm or is there a plastic cup?
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Its reasonably firm. I would trust them as a light pad.
    Coaching won't necessarily lead to faster crashes. Most crashes happen due to poor line choice, not enough speed, too much braking or a lack of commitment.
    I have had coaching for mountain biking with Chris Smith and was lucky enough to have a couple hours climbing coaching from Dave MacLeod quite a few years ago. Both helped me make huge improvements.
  • So you haven't actually ridden in the fox launch pads then?

I find them very good for actually cycling in. Forget they are there?!
  • tails
    They just seemed uncomfortable, for me, walking around the house and doing the usual(?) Comedy lunges etc. My riding buddy is looking for a less bulky pair and he's rode in the launch pros for some time. I know that this could be just us two as I bought after much internet searching.