Ridley compact or cannondale synapse?

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 849
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
As above I'm after a decent second bike for commuting and training when weather is bad. The Ridley I have found is campagnolo group. Synapse is the 2300 group but newer. Both cheap at around £300.

What would people say is the better all rounder? Also with sizing.. At 5'9" I tend to go for medium. Both bikes are 54.

Any advice would be appreciated :D

Thanks

Comments

• tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    I have a Ridley compact as my winter bike, it has veloce on it. Good solid bike, only disappointment is the bb as they tend to go quicker than I would like, only seem to last one winter.
  • I have a Synapse with a 105 set up, and I cannot fault the bike. I tested several bikes before settling on this. You need to try for size before you buy, as sizing can be different. My son has Shimano 2300 on his Scott, and it works fine.
    The choice is yours.
  • mattbabs
    mattbabs Posts: 86
    I've also got the Synapse 54cm and I'm the same height as you. It's a good fit for me but everyone is different. I do have the 105 compact setup so can't really comment on the 2300, is it a triple?
  • chatlow
    yeah, it was a triple, but think it's since been sold. ridley still for sale so will view that this week. still like the defy/synapse/merida and specialized so if i find one in the next few days I will try them all for size etc.

thanks
  • Serious Cat
    Serious Cat Posts: 489
    mattbabs wrote:
    I've also got the Synapse 54cm and I'm the same height as you. It's a good fit for me but everyone is different. I do have the 105 compact setup so can't really comment on the 2300, is it a triple?

What year is your synapse , 2014 or older ? How do you find the reach and what stem length are you using ?
    This serious internet site..............I serious cat
  • chatlow
    Apologies to go on.... But Now the synapse is out of the question I've found a 2008 specialized allez to view. Indecisive, I know, but would this be better in terms of weight, frame, components etc than the ridley? Thanks
  • Serious Cat
    Serious Cat Posts: 489
    Yup you are hopping around a bit here, the allez is a very different bike from a synapse. Where the synapse has relaxed head tube and steeper seat tube to achieve comfort geometry, the allez has a steeper head tube and shallower seat tube angles to facilitate a more racy position. Very different bikes indeed, so be sure what you want as I don't think you know what you are looking to buy yet .
    This serious internet site..............I serious cat
  • chatlow
    Didn't think they were all that different as I'm referring to the 2008 allez elite which has the straight top tube, not the newer deep sloping type. Forget about the cannondale as not getting that.. I'm trying to compare the ridley compact and 08' allez elite. In terms of what I'm looking for.. well I've got tcr advanced for weekends so it's a commuter/wet winter trainer that's strong and reliable. Not too bothered about it being fast, but lighter then better obviously.