New to road riding and need to find a bike! Help Please :)

samsmith481
samsmith481 Posts: 3
edited April 2014 in Road beginners
Hi all, i am just about to begin working for the ambulance service in the east of england. Part of the nature of our work involves 12 hour shifts, and as such we operate on a 4 days on, 4 days off(ish) pattern. Anyhow, it means that i am going to have a lot of spare time in the weeks to myself, and i have been trying to think of something to do in it!

Hence the reason i am here! i have decided that i would take up road cycling. I have done a little reading about, and as far as i can tell, it would be best to buy a second hand bike off ebay, rather than spend 300 quid at halfords(im expecting beginner abuse for mentioning halfords...), (my budget is about £300). The problem i have is being a bit of a noob in the subject i have no idea what is a great bargain and what is not!

I was hoping to get some advice (and possibly a link or two!) as to what bike i should purchase, and if anyone knew a good deal on ebay going at the moment.

I would be very grateful for any help,

Cheers,

Sam

p.s - i would be willing to extend my budget for a yellow bike.... :P

Comments

• unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    At 300 used is the way to go. Look for a known brand name like Specialized or Cannondale and make sure it has 9 or 10 speeds at the rear (anything less means it's lower spec or old). 300 should get something decent. Try and have a cycle savvy mate come to check it. Make sure the frame has no cracks, check it carefully all over.

Also, learn to work on it yourself. It's not hard and much cheaper than having a bike shop service it.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    does that £300 include kit like clothes, helmet,shoes, spare tubes, and tools including a pump?

add something like £50 - £100 for these essentials.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Look out for a used BTWIN Triban 3 with the red frame such as,
    eBay item number: 390803608181
    It should suit your needs and fit your budget.
    Cheers
    AC
    Carrera Fury for the muddy stuff
    Boardman Road Team for the black stuff
    PDQ for the TT stuff
  • does that £300 include kit like clothes, helmet,shoes, spare tubes, and tools including a pump?

I didnt really think about that, i have normal tools any garage would have, pump wise i have a normal pump that does normal tyres (fits a car tyre valve), i have heard that some tyres use different valves so maybe i need a different one. Do i need special shoes or clothes? i will admit i hadnt thought about these, helmet i knew i would need to buy, and i hadnt thought about punctures yet haha

thanks for the replys so far,

sam
  • unixnerd
    i have a normal pump that does normal tyres (fits a car tyre valve)

Road bikes use Presta valves, so you'd need a small adaptor. Better yet is a track pump, about 15 quid. They can go to a much higher pressure. A normal pump won't get the 100+ psi road bike tyres like.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    For £300 budget I would recommend ebay, if you see a bike you like check the size on the manufacturers website.
    For example, i'm 5 foot 8, my bikes are both 54cm frames. Its vital that you check the manufacturer recomends the frame size for your height.
    Slightly over budget but seems a bargain...(size 56 so for someone taller than me with a bigger inseam)
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trek-Road-Rac ... 1302371672
    And another Trek
    [url=Http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trek-1-5-Alpha-Upgraded-56cm-/231188427748?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item35d3e773e4]Http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Trek-1-5-Alph ... 35d3e773e4[/url]

As mentioned a track pump is handy, but youll also need a small pump or CO2 cartridges for your rides. Helmet is entirely up to you. Youll want at a minimum track gloves and bib shorts with padding, at least 2 spare inner tubes and a small multi tool set/ Allen keys. Shoes and clipless pedals you can get later.
    Cheap bib shorts can be found in sports direct.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Just noticed this in the bikeradar classifieds...
    viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=12961874

Remember to check manufacturers sizing.
  • unixnerd
    Shoes and clipless pedals you can get later.

Worth mentioning that even used with normal pedal something like Shimano SPD shoes with a solid sole are miles better than trainers. But you can get them later on.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    does that £300 include kit like clothes, helmet,shoes, spare tubes, and tools including a pump?

I didnt really think about that, i have normal tools any garage would have, pump wise i have a normal pump that does normal tyres (fits a car tyre valve), i have heard that some tyres use different valves so maybe i need a different one. Do i need special shoes or clothes? i will admit i hadnt thought about these, helmet i knew i would need to buy, and i hadnt thought about punctures yet haha

thanks for the replys so far,

sam

This normal pump for a car, would you be able to carry it with you when riding? Same for the tools.

Minimum you'll need: plastic tyre levers, a mini tool which will fit any and all nuts and bolts on the bike, spare inner tube, pump.

Then something to carry these in, saddlebag of some sort. Could go in your pockets but may need cycling clothes with pockets on back.

If you don't take these with you, expect to be walking home or ringing for a lift.

Cycling clothes are designed for cycling. You don't need them as such but they can make cycling more pleasant. Unless you have good quality hiking clothes, e.g. lightweight breathable jacket, don't wear your normal casual clothes.

You can end up spending a lot on cycling kit but I would recommend eventually getting: decent padded shorts, cycling jersey, cycling shoes and pedals, best fitting helmet you can afford, gloves, eye protection, breathable rain resistant jacket.

You may need to try many saddles before you are comfortable, but be prepared for butt ache while you get used to riding.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • macleod113
    macleod113 Posts: 560
    Hi Sam,
    focus on the basics. get the bike. check you get the right size one though. many a google search will tell you how to find out which one of a particular brand. give it a thorough look over and if in doubt you can say no. take a bike savvy mate if you can to take a look.
    you can probably pick up a helmet for 15 quid or so in asda/decathlon/halfords. yes i'd recommend a track pump and a mini pump, multi tool (mine was £3 in Wilko) and a spare tube.
    upgrade as you go. you dont have to get everything now.
    get out on your bike and enjoy
    Cube Cross 2016
    Willier GTR 2014