Knocking noise driving me crazy!

nathancorrea
nathancorrea Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I own a 2008 Titus Racer X. When I move the rear wheel side to side with a bit of effort, there's a knocking sound (with vibration) that comes out. This same thing happens when I pedal really hard or even with the bike just stationary, and i push down the crank arm with enough force.

I've done the following:
1. tighten the frame's pivots
2. tighten the rear shock's pivots 3, regreased and tightened BB
3. tightened pedals
4. tightened crank arm bolts, chain ring bolts
5. replaced cogs, same result.

Other notes:
1. i'm 99% sure it's not the wheelset as i fitted another rear wheel but it still has the same result.
2. when i turn the lockout on, there's a noticeable weakness in the knocking noise.
3. the knocking noise starts when i put pressure on the pedal/crank and ends exactly when i put off pressure.

still the knocking noise appears!

when i'm just spinning, not mashing, there is no sound. the sound appears when enough power is applied to the pedals. the sound also appears when i move the rear wheel side to side with enough power.

what's your 2 cents guys??

Comments

• ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    Rear shock bushes perhaps? How long have you had the bike?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    List of things to consider
    1/ Rear QR
    2/ Bushes/bearings (if they are knackered, tightening the bolts will not unknacker them!)

To clarify, what is a weakness in the knocking
    How does a knock continue while you have pressure on the crank arm, a knock is surely a one off noise/feeling that doesn't carry on (like a hum would for example).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Seat post. Always the seat post.