road tyres on MTB

paulwgun
paulwgun Posts: 10
edited April 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Im thinking of getting road tyres for my cube ltd pro 29,

I don't want to buy a road bike, finance being a main reason and after being out with a few mates who have road bikes who were leaving me behind on any inclines I thought of changing the tyres or do I get a new set of wheels but that would mean buying all the other bits (disc, gears)

what to get though the sizes are baffling me ive looked at the continental web site and cant see 29" . A guy in Halfords said I need 700 size but 700x?

My rims are RFR ZX24 29 and tyre size 29x2.25 :?

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Continental Touring the numbers after the 700 mean tyre width in milimeters. Depending on your rim width (I am going to guess about 21mm internal) I wouldnt go anything below a 700x32 in fact I would personally go for the 700x37.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • paulwgun
    stubs wrote:
    Continental Touring the numbers after the 700 mean tyre width in milimeters. Depending on your rim width (I am going to guess about 21mm internal) I wouldnt go anything below a 700x32 in fact I would personally go for the 700x37.

Thanks for that
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    700c is the same rim size as a 29er. Fit the same to an MTB and it's a 29" and then to road or crosser and it's 700c.

With road tyres you can go to the same width tyre as the rim internal width, so you can probably go narrower than a 32 if you want.

28 is considered a good touring/commute compromise as it has a lower rolling resistance (from a number of tests) than 25 or 23 and only looses out in a small amount of aero resistance at higher speeds. 32 starts to get a bit heavier than the narrower ones (25-28 typically only adds about 20g to a tyre).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paulwgun
    I went for continental gatorskin 700x28
    do I need to change the inner tube as im having one hell of a job trying to get the tyre on to the rim as the tube is pinching
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, your tube will have the width it's suitable on it and it's incredibly unlikely it will fit in a 28mm!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    My gatorskin on a 26" is super tight. You need to go back to bascis with fitting and make sure too bigger tube is not adding to your problem.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If your still having problems after trying with a proper sized tube then a bit of soapy water helps the bead snap over the rim.

Bet you wish you had got a 700x38 now :lol:
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Having done the same (putting 700x32 tyres on a 29er) I found the following link to how to get "tough" tyres to mount very useful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XUFVrl0UT4

Essentially force the bead into the well of the rim opposite to where you are trying to squeeze the bead over the rim.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)