Berkshire newbie

sheep
sheep Posts: 2
edited August 2014 in MTB beginners
Hi all,
August last year i bought my self a new specialized hardrock disc sport and started riding to work, i enjoyed riding so much that i continued to ride during the winter and even during all that flooding and storms we had. I've been off the bike now for about a month, had a nasty accident on way to work one morning, and its time to park the car up and dust off the bike and hit the road again. What im looking for is for some riding buddies in and around the Berkshire area to do some weekend off road riding so i can get some experience as i really want to tackle places like Afan and Cwmcarn in the summer this year and next year i want to try one of the big bike parks in Colorado.
My kids keep telling me im too old to go out mtb riding at weekends and i should put my feet up with a cup of horlicks now i dont work weekends but after watching some vids on Afan, Cwmcarn and dear leap i really want to get into this. So if you dont mind a newbie tagging along, i'll try not to hold you up, let me know when and where you guys ride.
sean stewart

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends where, but Swinley is a good start, some excellent riding in the Chilterns, and SH a short drive away.
    Quite a few local riders in LC - link below.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Palmer82
    Palmer82 Posts: 21
    Where abouts in Berkshire are you. I am starting evening rides again as daylight has returned and have become fat and unfit. I live in Newbury if that is of any help. I also often do longer rides at weekends or swinley. I hope to go to afan later in the year but have my first child due in august so might be tricky to get too many trail centre trips in.
  • Hi palmer82, im based in Bracknell so when you next plan a ride in swinley woods pm me and i will join you.
    I have had to rejoin the forum under a different user name as i could no longer log in under my original user name of SHEEP.
  • Welcome. I am in Maidenhead, get to Swinley on decent weekends, get out to the Chilterns when its dry. Happy to meet at Swinley as a central point. Am firmly in my 40s but weight is no issue, its getting my fitness back to a decent level. It was good last year until I has an accident! Cheers
  • Umzy86
    Umzy86 Posts: 3
    Hi all, another Berkshire newbie saying hello!
    I've inherited (borrowed) my brothers bike which was gathering dust in the garage and am slowly getting myself ready to hit the tracks at Swinley soon. Just need to get a bike rack...can anyone recommend something please?
    I've done some one off mountain biking before but It'll be my first time at Swinley so would appreciate a ride out with you experienced riders. I can do some evenings but mainly Sundays.
    Like Shaun, I'll try not holding you up! :D
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    depends on how many bikes you want to shift and what car you have. I've got a Saris but not a 'bones' as they don't fit my car. It's good but it means that you have to re-seat it if the rear hatch gets opened.

Can you not put dust sheets in the car and put the bike in the back?
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Umzy86
    Just the 1 bike. I've got a 2011 C Class. I hadn't considered that, will give it a bash.
    Anyone up for a ride on Sunday morning?
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    Don't put off going to Swinley, all sorts ride there from complete novice to bloody quick. Just be considerate of other users and enjoy yourself. You can always use your brakes to ride within your own capabilities on the fast bits, well that's what I do.
    Umzy86 wrote:
    Just the 1 bike. I've got a 2011 C Class. I hadn't considered that, will give it a bash.
    Anyone up for a ride on Sunday morning?
    If the rear seats fold down just take your front wheel off and slide it in through the boot.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • PaulBox wrote:
    Don't put off going to Swinley, all sorts ride there from complete novice to bloody quick. Just be considerate of other users and enjoy yourself. You can always use your brakes to ride within your own capabilities on the fast bits, well that's what I do..

Dont forget the advice to walk up the climbs if your fitness / legs are not quite up for it!
  • Umzy86
    Thats the issue, the seats don't go down!
    Thanks for the help, i'll be there this sunday from 11am if anyone wants to join!
  • t0pc4t
    t0pc4t Posts: 947
    mate I would love to, not least because it would get me out of a visit to the in laws but given that I've managed to dodge them since Christmas instead of riding I'll be making small talk and being polite.

FML
    Whether you're a king or a little street sweeper, sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper.

Cube Curve 2009
    Giant Anthem X4

FCN=6
  • Sunday 4 May for me, if anyone is keen. Will get there pretty early though if weather is good - will be very busy!
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    You could always try the Berks on Bikes club, http://bobmtb.com/
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Palmer82
    Palmer82 Posts: 21
    I hope to be there tomorrow am if anyone wants to meet send me a pm
  • ryanita
    ryanita Posts: 4
    benpinnick wrote:

Thanks guys.buy.gif..I want to join...
  • sheep wrote:
    Hi all,
    August last year i bought my self a new specialized hardrock disc sport and started riding to work, i enjoyed riding so much that i continued to ride during the winter and even during all that flooding and storms we had. I've been off the bike now for about a month, had a nasty accident on way to work one morning, and its time to park the car up and dust off the bike and hit the road again. What im looking for is for some riding buddies in and around the Berkshire area to do some weekend off road riding so i can get some experience as i really want to tackle places like Afan and Cwmcarn in the summer this year and next year i want to try one of the big bike parks in Colorado.
    My kids keep telling me im too old to go out mtb riding at weekends and i should put my feet up with a cup of horlicks now i dont work weekends but after watching some vids on Afan, Cwmcarn and dear leap i really want to get into this. So if you dont mind a newbie tagging along, i'll try not to hold you up, let me know when and where you guys ride.

hi Sheep,

did you find any local rides in berkshire? i'm a newbie too looking for local places to try
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I used to live in Reading and would ride north out of town into the CHilterns - tons of very good bridleway riding of the fast flowing fun variety out that way and some good guide books on the area around.

I sometimes drove to a start point but more often than not rode from home. Had a good loop set up for regular rides and lots of options for longer loops.

Here is a link to one of my longer loops! http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Reading-to-Nettlebed-and-back-the-long-way

Here are all my routes i bothered to map (one is in the Peaks - ignore that!) http://www.bikely.com/listpaths/by/skibum

Get the local OS maps (there are two to cover the north of reading) and get planning. Ignore South of the town, there is not a lot of options out there.
    My reply re Reading on another thread
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.