Ultimate stems

granny_ring
granny_ring Posts: 28
edited April 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hi, there peeps after some advice.

Looking at upgrading my current stock stem to either a kcnc or the above mentioned, however never heard of ultimate are these any good?

Seen one of those above for sale, has anyone had any experience with these, any issues.
Yetitribe

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A stem is pretty much a stem - pick a weight/price and they all feel the same.
    Ultimate seem to get good reviews, but I've never seen a real one.
    I have a KCNC Bear Arm, I like it, mainly because it cost me £10 new, and is called Bear Arm.

£20 http://clee-cycles.co.uk/esite/P930/product
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks cool dad.
    Yetitribe
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Do you mean New Ultimate? I use their stuff, really like it. My 100mm stem is 102g. About to buy a 90mm one actually. They're a Danish brand, very light, but nicely made kit.

12725768233_7d3de25914.jpg

12725569525_f73e7069b3.jpg
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I like Easton EA90 and they are a fair bit cheaper. Also no complaints from FSA ones.
  • njee20
    Heavier, if that's your thing.
  • minley1
    minley1 Posts: 126
    I stole your idea njee, just taken delivery of a 90 mm New Ultimate Stem, replaces my Easton Ec90 130 mm, it is a very nice bit of kit.highly recommended
  • These look like some nice parts! Is there a dealer in the UK?
    James
  • minley1
    Not that I could find, got mine from here:

http://fairwheelbikes.com

Some nice components on here, not Cheap mind but exchange rate is good at the moment.
  • njee20
    Used to be me, I've still got a few bits in my wardrobe, no stems though!

No UK distributor currently - a few of the European shops seem to hold better stock than Fairwheel, an no risk of import duties.

Not cheap, but that seatpost is 123g or something, their alu posts are nice - light, and not silly money.

Out of interest Minley, did you get the Evo stem? I was going to try and track down an old one, as I know they're excellent, and the decals match better, I think the Evo ones may be a bit heavier - they did white ones when I was selling them and they were slightly heavier.
  • minley1 wrote:

Some nice components on here, not Cheap mind but exchange rate is good at the moment.

Cheers
    Some proper nice things on there!! Scary prices though.
  • minley1
    I did get the Evo one, I didn't actually weigh it, just went of the figures on the site, they have quite a comprehensive test/review of the stems on their site:

http://fairwheelbikes.com/c/forums/topi ... -review-3/
  • njee20
    minley1 wrote:

Cheers
    Some proper nice things on there!! Scary prices though.

Worth signing up for their newsletter - some of the custom builds they do are immense!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Value wise hard to beat these, though sizes are limited:

http://www.carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&c=48&p=610&
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    cooldad wrote:

Well not really, there's a lot more too it then just weight/price, just going from my KCNC stem to my Easton Haven I noticed a big increase in stiffness and steering precision. Sure it's a little heavier but it's worth the trade off imo. FWIW, the KCNC bar and I had were very good, the stem was something like 104g for an 80mm and the scandium bar was a very nice shape and beautifully made, but they just felt a little weedy.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    lawman wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Well not really, there's a lot more too it then just weight/price, just going from my KCNC stem to my Easton Haven I noticed a big increase in stiffness and steering precision. Sure it's a little heavier but it's worth the trade off imo. FWIW, the KCNC bar and I had were very good, the stem was something like 104g for an 80mm and the scandium bar was a very nice shape and beautifully made, but they just felt a little weedy.
    Your imagination working overtime I expect. Assuming nothing else (weight/bars/length) changed as well.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks for the info lads..
    Will look at fair wheel website.
    Yetitribe
  • lawman wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Lawman is your kcnc stem surplus now then?
    Yetitribe
  • njee20 wrote:
    Do you mean New Ultimate? I use their stuff, really like it. My 100mm stem is 102g. About to buy a 90mm one actually. They're a Danish brand, very light, but nicely made kit.

12725768233_7d3de25914.jpg

12725569525_f73e7069b3.jpg

Sorry yes new ultimate.. That's a :shock: nice bike it looks light. 8)
    Yetitribe
  • njee20
    19.2lbs, so not too bad. Now sporting a 90mm stem, need to track down a sensibly priced New Ultimate one! The shop i'd found seem to have sold out now, not keen on paying £80+
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    lawman wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Lawman is your kcnc stem surplus now then?

Fraid not, my dad chucked it on his road bike, but that should give you an idea of how light they are!