Astounding !!!!!!!!!!

pastey_boy
pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
edited March 2014 in Road general
I don't know if this has made it onto this forum but I cannot believe it ever made it to print.
http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/archive/ ... cyclists_/
Viner Salviati
Shark Aero Pro
Px Ti Custom
Cougar 531
Sab single speed
Argon 18 E-112 TT
One-one Ti 456 Evo
Ridley Cheetah TT
Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
Yeti ASR 5
Cove Hummer XC Ti

Comments

• Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    That woman has a impressive chin on her!! Perhaps she was buffing it instead of concentrating on the road when she knocked the second cyclist off :arrow:
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    So much ignorance.
  • View articles like this with the contempt they deserve, they just emphasize the author's stupidity. :?
  • Greg-46a
    Greg-46a Posts: 24
    Usual click bait terrible journalism written by idiot lazy journalist.

http://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress.com/2012/09/25/the-terrible-journalists-guide-to-writing-an-article-about-bicycles/

Maybe they could write a piece on the terrible driving I see on a daily basis.
  • barrie h
    barrie h Posts: 102
    Ive sent a polite but very pointed email to her and her editor

Barrie
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    She's just replied to me on twitter claiming it was tongue in cheek.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Greg-46a
    Greg-46a Posts: 24
    Oh it was just a joke, like they do on Top Gear...

http://youtu.be/K7CnMQ4L9Pc
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    It is a Bolton paper, what do you expect? This would never happen in Yorkshire.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Not meant to be taken too seriously methinks. Amuses me that people do
  • It.s ok saying it shouldn't be taken too seriously - but there are plenty of drivers out there who do drive that way, and act as though cyclists just don't exist. I have had several occasions where a driver just turned left after pulling alongside me, and I have had to make the same turn to avoid being knocked off. Then there are the dog walkers on the cycle tracks- no, don't get me started. :x
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    OK so yeah - do wonder WTF the point of the article was.

ONE thing about the left turn comment however (yes she was wrong) - I had an occasion not so long ago where I passed a cycle in the car. Traffic was heavy and some time after overtaking him I was needing to turn left.
    Did all the checks, indicated, and in my mirror check I saw the cycle bombing down the traffic a good 25m or so behind, undertaking all the cars behind on a course right into me. Turning and checking the blind spot, he just carried on! I had to stop, mid manoeuvre.

Now I have seen and heard of this a lot now. Cycles undertaking vehicles down the left hand side and into ones turning left.
    I really don't know why some cyclists do this. I hope its not because they think they have right of way, because like the "its ok to jump a red light" brigade, there seems to be cyclist rules developing on the road that are just wrong.
  • Just to add to my previous post for rickeverett's benefit. Each time this happened I wasn't undertaking, I was just riding along the road with very little other traffic - and the car has come from behind, overtaken and turned left as they got just in front of me - so don't assume that its the cyclists fault. There is no way that the drivers did not see me, nor did they mis-time their manoevre. It was a deliberate act without any provocation from me. It was as though the driver had decided that I was only a cyclist, therefore I had no right being there.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,017
    Just to add to my previous post for rickeverett's benefit. Each time this happened I wasn't undertaking, I was just riding along the road with very little other traffic - and the car has come from behind, overtaken and turned left as they got just in front of me - so don't assume that its the cyclists fault. There is no way that the drivers did not see me, nor did they mis-time their manoevre. It was a deliberate act without any provocation from me. It was as though the driver had decided that I was only a cyclist, therefore I had no right being there.

More significant is that often drivers are hell bent on getting past you only to turn left when it would have been easier just to stay behind you and then turn left (oh, for an agonising extra 10 seconds, poor ba$tards).
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Just to add to my previous post for rickeverett's benefit. Each time this happened I wasn't undertaking, I was just riding along the road with very little other traffic - and the car has come from behind, overtaken and turned left as they got just in front of me - so don't assume that its the cyclists fault. There is no way that the drivers did not see me, nor did they mis-time their manoevre. It was a deliberate act without any provocation from me. It was as though the driver had decided that I was only a cyclist, therefore I had no right being there.

More significant is that often drivers are hell bent on getting past you only to turn left when it would have been easier just to stay behind you and then turn left (oh, for an agonising extra 10 seconds, poor ba$tards).

In my case, yesterday, 2 seconds. Turning off my own estate onto the main road. With just over a car's length to go to the junction, whilst I'm taking primary, a neighbour overtakes me, forces me into collision with the kerb and drives off.

Needless to say the police have been informed.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Half the time they are just conditioned to overtake a cyclist without fully appreciating how fast we are going. I have this a lot because I drive a slowish car and people have to overtake me because they perceive it's a slowish car. Same with tractors, buses etc. just doesn't register because they are on auto pilot, distracted, fiddling with phone, stereo, sandwich etc etc
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,017
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Half the time they are just conditioned to overtake a cyclist without fully appreciating 12.5mph. I have this a lot because I drive a slowish car slowly and people have to overtake me because it's a slowish car driven very slowly. Same with tractors, buses, fat trike's, go karts, fat horses, drunk legless prossies, gangs of Kingdom Hall Jehovah's Witnesses etc. just doesn't register because they are stoopid, distracted, fiddling with phone, vibrator battery replacement, stereo, sandwich, courtesy mirror, lipstick patching, mascara and eyeliner correction etc etc

FTFY Mikey :D - I bet you are pleased with the result.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!