Heartwarming... lady hears for first time

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I watched it...amaze balls. Must have been quite an experience.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    So amazing it is but:

How does she know what speech sounds like? She understands what people are saying and says it sounds 'robotic' yet how on earth does she know what robotic sounds like as a reference point?

I would agree if she was lip reading but it's on the phone, so somehow she knew what the days of the week sounded like having never heard them?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Yes I was thinking the same thing. Would be interesting to hear her account of what her perception of speech and sound has been and how it measures up with the reality. I presume this has not been the first time this has been done so there must be a body of evidence.

Nice to see some good news for a change...
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Me too!
    She said she expected everyone's voice to sound the the same, and I imagine you would.
    Great story. :D
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Very moving seeing her reaction to hearing that first time. What was odd was that I'm sure she had a North East accent. I know she's from Gateshead but if she's never heard before how come she has the accent?