Anglo Saxon culture?

earth
earth Posts: 934
edited April 2014 in The cake stop
I half watched the EU debate between Farage and Clegg the other night while gluing on a tubular.

Farage is billed as the man who supports Britain. But a few comments he made make me doubt this and he started going on about our Anglo Saxon culture and belief in following law.

So what is this Anglo Saxon culture? What does that mean and does everyone feel they are represented by that?

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Anglo saxon culture? So a culture influenced by mass immigration. Does not sound up Farage's street to be honest.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    THe Saxon bit comes from, er, Saxony. Farage is a privileged oaf who is neither capable of pursuing the agenda appropriate to the politics he espouses nor in touch with anything relevant to the arguments he was trying to support. It's good that UKIP are not -in any way- as ugly as the right wing parties in many other European countries, and it is good that Clegg - privileged superior type - stood up to him in the way he did, supporting, as is necessary, that which prevents tribal, national and sectarian division.
  • earth
    Agree, it sounds contradictory but what actually is it?

The Angles and the Saxons were not the first peoples here, not even the second and they were not the last. And apparently DNA studies show that most people originated from Spain.

This does not surprise me and my theory is that during the last ice age this island was under an ice cap while Spain being closer to the equator would be warmer and more habitable. As the ice retreated people migrated north.

Edit.

Just to be more precise when I ask what does this mean? I'm not asking who are the Anglo Saxons, I am asking what was there culture, beliefs, values, way of life that I supposedly follow?
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    Anglo-Saxon times were a long time ago, surely we don't need to go back that far, maybe 2000 years would be enough, ohh that would be Roman, maybe 1000 years to the err Norman times. Oh well, Farage doesn't sound an Anglo-Saxon name anyway ;)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Just call me Norman ...
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    I guess it is a short hand way of thanking God for not being French, in the eyes of Farage and other UKIPers
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    edited March 2014
    Many, many aspects of AS culture are heavily disputed due to a dearth of primary sources. It's just Farage speaking bollox as usual.
  • How middle-clarse is this. I couldn't possibly be Anglo-Saxon, I drink rose wine and had some pasta for supper. I really don't want to be associated with those oiks, and am calling the police right now, darling.

Angles and Saxons, forsooth. :roll:

if your tipple is an agreeable chablis, some artisan cheese and you drive a French car, you are practically a foreigner.

If you would rather drink loads of ale, shag a bird behind some wheely bins and get a kebab on the way home, congratulations, you are a bone fide Englishman (or person), and God Save The Queen!
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Anglo Saxons? Bloody immigrants! The Celts are the original Brits and the rest of you should go back to where you came from!

363px-Britain_in_AD500_-_Project_Gutenberg_eText_16790.jpg

Anyway, doesn't 'Farage' sound like a suspiciously foreign name to you?
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Just call me Norman ...

erm but your names Mike... y
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    No wonder the younger generations don't engage with politics when we have politicians referencing anglo saxons. Discussions are needed about things like pensions (however boring), nuclear power and the healthcare budget. Not harping back to a distant and, as mr finch points out, a disputed past. Sad fact is though there are probably plenty of middle to late age Sun reading f*ckwits who lap up what he says.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,600
    Sad fact is though there are probably plenty of middle to late age Sun reading f*ckwits who lap up what he says.
    Judging by the fact that current upport for UKIP is well ahead of the Lib Dems, I'd say you're right.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo 666 wrote:
    Sad fact is though there are probably plenty of middle to late age Sun reading f*ckwits who lap up what he says.
    Judging by the fact that current upport for UKIP is well ahead of the Lib Dems, I'd say you're right.
    British = racist. Discuss.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Well Britain doesn't have Far Right parties holding positions of power unlike in several European countries. I thnk Britain is one of the friendlier, more accepting nations for immigrants to enter, where they will be less troubled by abuse and discrimination.

So no I don't think this is a racist nation, even though we could better and some sections of our country are racist.

All in all, I think British people can be proud of how comparatively progressive we are as a nation. I think it is one of our finest characteristics.
  • RideOnTime
    nathancom wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Well Britain doesn't have Far Right parties holding positions of power unlike in several European countries. I thnk Britain is one of the friendlier, more accepting nations for immigrants to enter, where they will be less troubled by abuse and discrimination.

So no I don't think this is a racist nation, even though we could better and some sections of our country are racist.

All in all, I think British people can be proud of how comparatively progressive we are as a nation. I think it is one of our finest characteristics.

We just need a level of in migration to function don't we.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    nathancom wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

We have a first past the post electoral system, means the far right don't get any representation.
    I don't think british people are any more welcoming or progressive than anyone else, our political leaders might be though.
    infact given that the uk wants restrictions on free movement of labour and most of Europe doesn't would indicate otherwise? Cameron is also promising a vote on our continued membership of Europe, why? to curb immigration and the threat of UKiP
    the recently level of immigration is (to many) to high to be sustainable and that discontent is what ukip have tapped into.

anyway, what is "British" ? it certainly isn't a warm beer watching cricket on the green anymore, if it ever was!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Its also part of Farage's game to attract the discontented working class vote - he understands that there is only limited mileage in the "old Colonel" style vote and therefore by using terminology that actually doesn't mean anything but strikes a chord in people's minds as their perceived correct standing within their country it means that they can pretend to be educated class conscious non racists supporting a fair and democratic party standing up for their rights of a citizen of their home country while still spouting utter, complete sheer bollox at all times.

The man is a dangerous lunatic with a single policy that will cause untold problems and trouble for all.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,030
    He gets support partly because a large minority (at least) do feel their views aren't represented in the media, or at least when they are they are ridiculed or called racist. Suggest uncontrolled immigration may be a problem for example and you will be treated like some kind of deranged little Englander - most often by people who do not suffer the consequences which are felt in poor inner city areas.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Mikey23
    Norman as in possible descendent of William of lanstephan cousin of willie the conk and living in the protection of his castle.

It's a stoopid argument as we're all immigrants. And farage is definitely French
  • RideOnTime
    Imagine if Farage was our PM. OMFG :oops: :oops: :oops:
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Imagine if Farage was our PM. OMFG :oops: :oops: :oops:

Why? would he be any worse than a toff from Eton, employing his mates to run the place? whilst playing "I love the NHS as they helped my dying son" card at every opportunity.

anyhow, I blame Cnut of Denmark, he was the first to invade and that led to
    one in the eye for Harold and then Edward took power, which led to a minors strike and blackouts.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    It went wrong in 1066 when the Normans invaded and introduced the feudal system. We were quite happy until then.

The French saw the error of their ways and a had a little revolution, whilst we, the constant subordinates, didn't. That's why we are still run by the elite for the elite. So many in the BBC/Press come from private education and too many in the government.

Whilst Stevo might have got on his bike and off his 4rse, pulled himself up the ladder and acheived something, little does he realise that there is a glass ceiling for him and the vast majority, bar a few exceptions.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • earth
    I guess nobody knows what it is to be an Anglo-Saxon. I hear the term a with some frequency though. Phrases like 'Anglo-American' for instance.

The Anglo-Saxons elected their kings but that went out the window with Mikey's ancestor 'Willie the Conk'.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    mamba80 wrote:
    anyhow, I blame Cnut of Denmark, he was the first to invade and that led to
    one in the eye for Harold and then Edward took power, which led to a minors strike and blackouts.

Yes, it's always some Cnut's fault.
  • Stevo_666
    It went wrong in 1066 when the Normans invaded and introduced the feudal system. We were quite happy until then.

The French saw the error of their ways and a had a little revolution, whilst we, the constant subordinates, didn't. That's why we are still run by the elite for the elite. So many in the BBC/Press come from private education and too many in the government.

Whilst Stevo might have got on his bike and off his 4rse, pulled himself up the ladder and acheived something, little does he realise that there is a glass ceiling for him and the vast majority, bar a few exceptions.
    Not a glass ceiling, more of a sticky door - just needs a bit of WD40 and a good kick :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Mikey23
    I need to pop round my feudal lands and see how the serfs are getting on...
  • finchy
    Mikey23 wrote:

Stevo's fine.
  • Stevo_666
    johnfinch wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

Stevo's fine.
    You'll be hearing from one of my minions in the morning :wink:
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,088
    johnfinch wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

Stevo's fine.

...although highly belligerent and not nearly subservient enough. Methinks he needs a short spell in A wing to put him in his place.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • finchy
    johnfinch wrote:
    Mikey23 wrote:

Stevo's fine.

...although highly belligerent and not nearly subservient enough. Methinks he needs a short spell in A wing to put him in his place.

He's end up like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPi76KvQF1g