Stuck Seatpost

Cogsy1976
Cogsy1976 Posts: 143
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi Guys

I have just bought my wife a Scott Contessa, lovely bike but the seatpost is stuck in the frame, any tips on best way to remove? I managed to sort this on an old SPecialized I had by using boiling hot water tipped onto the frame and then using brute force turning the saddle, but I cant do on this one as the actual top part of the seatpost spins in the seatpost.

if the saddle is not on the bike what is the best way to remove? I was going to try mole grips on it when I get home but any other suggestions welcome. Im not bothered about knackering the seatpost!

Any tips much appreciated!

Comments

• Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Spray wd-40 in between the seat post and the frame, then saw off the top of the seat post- just the bit with the screws so that you can discharge a co2 cartridge down the inside of it- this will shrink the seat tube by shrinking it, so then you can pull it out
  • Cogsy1976
    Nice one, will give that a go
  • ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    Wtf? Never heard of that before. If the post is now ruined (sounds like it is), i'd drill a hole through it and put a screwdriver through to turn it with more leverage. You can add a pole on the end if your screwdriver will stand up to it of if it's nevessary
  • Cogsy1976
    They do say to freeze or heat the tube but I was going to buzz a load of ice down the seat tube and if that doesn't work will try the screwdriver trick
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Theres always using chemicals - im not sure which is appropiate for your frame as different chemicals for different frame materials...

Also, if you get a good grip on your seatpost, you can flip it upside down and use the frame as good leverage
  • iwilldoit
    iwilldoit Posts: 710
    Hi

Try some plusgas and let it soak and then get a hair drier on the outside of the frame below the seat post frame junction, it's amazing what heat will do.

Doing my wheel bearings the other day, just put the hair drier on the hub and the bearing just pushed in by hand.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If there is aluminium involved use household ammonia as it dissolves aluminium oxide, plusgas and water are a waste of time....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.