Garmin Virb Elite

ribbo
ribbo Posts: 35
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
I was just wondering if anyone owns a Garmin Virb Elite or has had any experience of using one?

Would like to know any thoughts re:

1) Picture quality, e.g. when compared to a GoPro
2) Associated software ease of use - i have seen peoples videos with overlays of speed, altitude, course ect. how easy is this to do?
3) Using it as a cycling computer, does it give you a readout of your current speed when not in use
4) Since its GPS enabled can you upload your rides onto the Garmin site as you could with a normal Garmin unit?

Bringing my attention to any other important things I've missed would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    As always, DC Rainmaker is the best place for detailed reviews of bike techy stuff.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • PhunkyPhil
    PhunkyPhil Posts: 143
    I have been looking at getting one my self and have just read the doc rainmaker review before seeing this post.i wanted to check out the mounts which is why I read the reviews.

Basically it crates 3 files, the GPX and FIT files and the video file so you can upload these to garmin connect or Strava.

The video software just matches the video file and the ANT+ data together so it's easy.

I don't think you can use it as a cycle computer replacement.

The video qualites listed are similar and HD quality so you should be ok.
  • ribbo
    wandsworth wrote:
    As always, DC Rainmaker is the best place for detailed reviews of bike techy stuff.

Perfect, thanks very much for this.
    PhunkyPhil wrote:
    I have been looking at getting one my self and have just read the doc rainmaker review before seeing this post.i wanted to check out the mounts which is why I read the reviews.

Basically it crates 3 files, the GPX and FIT files and the video file so you can upload these to garmin connect or Strava.

The video software just matches the video file and the ANT+ data together so it's easy.

I don't think you can use it as a cycle computer replacement.

The video qualites listed are similar and HD quality so you should be ok.

Thanks very much, seems like its all up to scratch.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Ribbo wrote:
    1) Picture quality, e.g. when compared to a GoPro

As good as, if not better. There is a mount adapter in the box to enable Go-Pro mounts to be used.
    Ribbo wrote:
    2) Associated software ease of use - i have seen peoples videos with overlays of speed, altitude, course ect. how easy is this to do?

Simple with Virb Edit, can be tricky lining up the GPS data with the video but a few metres won't hurt.
    Ribbo wrote:
    3) Using it as a cycling computer, does it give you a readout of your current speed when not in use

There is a dashboard display on top via the chroma display but you need to be close up to see it properly

Ribbo wrote:
    4) Since its GPS enabled can you upload your rides onto the Garmin site as you could with a normal Garmin unit?

I would assume so, but I upload my ride data from my 800 which also acts as a remote for the camera.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • ribbo
    Thanks very much redvee!