To those that dislike the idea of wanting more

123457»

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    nathancom wrote:
    nathancom wrote:
    Funny how you think people should not care about the package when applying for a job as though the work is so fulfilling they should want to do it whatever pittance is offered.

In some ways, this comment sums up the whole thread - black and white position taking. In the real world, things are always shades of grey.

I'm retired now, but interviewed many people over the years for jobs. My advice to anyone getting an interview would be to treat it as part of the selling yourself process. You are trying to persuade the person offering the job that you are the applicant they should select out of all the probably many options open to them. You are most likely to do that by telling them what you can bring to the job, not by focusing on what the job can bring to you.

Of course, the package is important as most of us don't give our labour for altruistic purposes, but my own experience of applying for jobs is that you do your research before the interview to get indicators, and then discuss the fine details of the package after you are offered the job. Once the employer has made the decision you are the person for them, you are in a much stronger negotiating position.

When I used to interview people, if their primary focus was what they were going to get they were always lower down on my list of likeliest than the people that took the time to tell me what they were going to bring to the table. It also told me they weren't very smart.

So, of course package is important, but if you concentrate on that at an interview rather than on selling yourself, you are wasting a good opportunity.
    Definitely, and if they don't get the role for that reason it is their own fault. I would expect the interviewer to broach the subject of package as part of the interview process anyway.

My issue is using the attitude of some interview attendees to attack jobseekers as a whole as scroungers and parasites.

I agree 100%, can you show me anywhere on this forum where anyone has done this as I would like to give them my mind as that is an awful thing to do.
    Living MY dream.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    VTech wrote:
    nathancom wrote:
    nathancom wrote:
    Funny how you think people should not care about the package when applying for a job as though the work is so fulfilling they should want to do it whatever pittance is offered.

In some ways, this comment sums up the whole thread - black and white position taking. In the real world, things are always shades of grey.

I'm retired now, but interviewed many people over the years for jobs. My advice to anyone getting an interview would be to treat it as part of the selling yourself process. You are trying to persuade the person offering the job that you are the applicant they should select out of all the probably many options open to them. You are most likely to do that by telling them what you can bring to the job, not by focusing on what the job can bring to you.

Of course, the package is important as most of us don't give our labour for altruistic purposes, but my own experience of applying for jobs is that you do your research before the interview to get indicators, and then discuss the fine details of the package after you are offered the job. Once the employer has made the decision you are the person for them, you are in a much stronger negotiating position.

When I used to interview people, if their primary focus was what they were going to get they were always lower down on my list of likeliest than the people that took the time to tell me what they were going to bring to the table. It also told me they weren't very smart.

So, of course package is important, but if you concentrate on that at an interview rather than on selling yourself, you are wasting a good opportunity.
    Definitely, and if they don't get the role for that reason it is their own fault. I would expect the interviewer to broach the subject of package as part of the interview process anyway.

My issue is using the attitude of some interview attendees to attack jobseekers as a whole as scroungers and parasites.

I agree 100%, can you show me anywhere on this forum where anyone has done this as I would like to give them my mind as that is an awful thing to do.
    Well I have a job to do today but I will happily pick through whatever you wrote later.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    AttN: Nathancom, just as a little help to the exact words I used.
    VTech wrote:
    Who would want to be forward facing with staff these days anyone.
    I no longer interview because I can't stand the first 3 questions people seem to always ask.

1) how many days holiday
    2) salary
    3) bonuses

All based on them getting more, more than a job which is why they are sat in front of me.

please for the love of god pick at this and inform everyone where I did as you suggested, if you can I will admit I am a liar, if not I suggest that you are indeed the liar who has been found out yet again.
    Living MY dream.
This discussion has been closed.