Shimano A600 SPD pedals

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
Anyone used these? They are single-sided SPD pedals, look like road jobbies.

Do they work with MTB style shoes, or do you need 'flat bottomed' road shoes (in which case I might as well get some Looks, etc)

Ta

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    You should be able to use them with any shoe that takes SPD cleats.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I use the A530 which are similar and they work fine with my mtb style summer shoes and the MW80 winter ones (both SPD)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,659
    I have a couple of sets of these in use. They are good, work just like any other SPD, with MTB shoes is fine.

Only caveat is that the nice grey gloss powder coat finish scratches up a bit easily on the non-cleat side when you are banging a shoe on them t flip them over.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    Got a pair too, plus some A530s and M520s knocking around from before I moved to road pedals. IMHO save your money and get A530s if you want to occasionally use the bike with normal non-cleated shoes as they offer a much better and less slippy platform or the M520s if you're always going to use SPDs as being double-sided is useful. If you're bothered about weight/performance go full-blown road pedals
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Got a pair too, plus some A530s and M520s knocking around from before I moved to road pedals. IMHO save your money and get A530s if you want to occasionally use the bike with normal non-cleated shoes as they offer a much better and less slippy platform or the M520s if you're always going to use SPDs as being double-sided is useful. If you're bothered about weight/performance go full-blown road pedals

It's more having more support for my foot when using the cleated side

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • keyser__soze
    keyser__soze Posts: 2,067
    I found the A530s offered the same level of support, can't say I really noticed any difference at all with the A600s and this was when wearing pretty soft/flexy Shimano M076 shoes on several multi-hour rides. Not saying the A600s are bad per se, just didn't feel they were worth the difference in price. I got a much bigger impact by buying some much stiffer shoes.
    "Mummy Mummy, when will I grow up?"
    "Don't be silly son, you're a bloke, you'll never grow up"
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    I have some A520 pedals on one of my bikes. They are the same design as the A600 but a step down in the Shimano hierarchy.

They are good. You can use them with any shoes that take SPD cleats. I have used them with both mtb shoes and 'touring' type shoes - e.g. Shimano RT82 over longish sportives and club runs. I don't really have problems with 'hot foot' anyway, so not sure how much extra support they give over other SPD pedals. I'd happily race in them.

I'd recommend the A520s over the A600 just because they are cheaper (£25 online) and only about 40g heavier. Pedals get scuffed and knocked easily and the A520s have given me thousands of trouble free miles, so I can't imagine how much better the Ultegra pedals are likely to be.