It's raining

Colinthecop
Colinthecop Posts: 996
edited April 2014 in Road general
Today is my Sunday, if you're a shiftworker that will make sense. If not, just trust me.

Anyways, I planned a decent ride out today, had a route sorted in my head, probably about 45miles and was looking forward to it.

I'd even picked out a gel from my High5 goodybox to take.

But it's raining and I don't want to go now. Not so much a fear of water, it's just I hate cleaning my bike - it seems to tale forever. I can clean my truck quicker than my bike.

Under any circumstances can it be acceptable to cancel a ride because it's raining...?

:oops:

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Rule 5 clearly explains when it is, and isn't, acceptable.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Rule 9, surely?
  • Joeblack
    Joeblack Posts: 829
    And surely rule 9??

// If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Fair-weather riding is a luxury reserved for Sunday afternoons and wide boulevards. Those who ride in foul weather – be it cold, wet, or inordinately hot – are members of a special club of riders who, on the morning of a big ride, pull back the curtain to check the weather and, upon seeing rain falling from the skies, allow a wry smile to spread across their face. This is a rider who loves the work.
    One plays football, tennis or golf, one does not play at cycling
  • andy_s_t
    andy_s_t Posts: 106
    As long as i can stay warm (especially my feet) I just ride, it's only water after all.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    nah it's horrible out there stay in and keep dry
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Go and ride. You are allowed an extra sugar in your hot chocolate
  • Well, it was hissing down for our planned ride at 0730 so we didn't go. We rescheduled for 1630 and it's now blazing sunshine.

Sometimes not following the rules is just sensible.
  • Ride in the rain? Thousands spent on bling and get it all wet? The paint might run. Hang your pride and joy back over the mantlepiece and watch reruns of Columbo instead.
    I don't do Cold, Wet, Uphill or into the wind!!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Same here... Looking out of the window watching frequent heavy showers while watching nice warm cricket from sunny climes. I have mudguards on my winter bike, I have warm and appropriate clothing... So I shall be out later
  • Colinthecop
    Went for the MTFU option and nipped out just before lunchtime as the rain had stopped and the roads were drying.

Jeez, missing lunch was a mistake. Bonked at 42 miles. Had to stop and have a seat for 20 mins or so. What was laughable was, I was only a mile from my house... But I had nothing left.

Managed to suck some leftovers from my empty gel sachet and finish the last of my water before wobbling home.
  • Pantani98
    Pantani98 Posts: 79
    This is a wind up. Surely. No man from the Scottish Highlands poofs out because its raining. And he certainly doesn't bonk after 42 miles!
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    What keeps me riding in the lovely Scottish weather all winter is the knowledge that the only alternative is my turbo trainer. I hate my turbo trainer with a passion. It's so boring, even with a video or something to watch. I'd rather go outside and get soaked to the skin in freezing temperatures for an hour than spend even 15 minutes on the trainer in a nice warm room.
  • Followed the rules and went out despite carp forecast.
    First hour lovely sun.
    Second hour it was windy.
    Third hour the hail came down so hard it was finding its way through the slits in my helmet and really HURT!
    Sheltered in the lee of someone's garage.
    Little old lady asked me if I was alright and would I like a cup of tea.

Her lemon drizzle cake was superb.
    I love cycling.
  • Colinthecop
    Pantani98 wrote:
    This is a wind up. Surely. No man from the Scottish Highlands poofs out because its raining. And he certainly doesn't bonk after 42 miles!

But I'm not actually from here, I just choose to live here.

So that should give me an exemption. 8)
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    adr82 wrote:
    What keeps me riding in the lovely Scottish weather all winter is the knowledge that the only alternative is my turbo trainer. I hate my turbo trainer with a passion. It's so boring, even with a video or something to watch. I'd rather go outside and get soaked to the skin in freezing temperatures for an hour than spend even 15 minutes on the trainer in a nice warm room.

This.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Before I had a Tacx VR trainer, I'd have said no, get out and ride, you only get once and once soaked you don't get any wetter. But now, I'd sooner jump on the trainer, in the garage with the fan on cycling up Honister Pass or one fo the cols on the continent.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Serious Cat
    Serious Cat Posts: 489
    If Im out riding and a rain shower passes overhead then there is nothing I can do about that other than look at the cloud and say you got me, however, if Im planning on going out and its already raining then I don't bother going out as I really hate riding in those conditions.
    This serious internet site..............I serious cat
  • Serious Cat
    Serious Cat Posts: 489
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Same here... Looking out of the window watching frequent heavy showers while watching nice warm cricket from sunny climes. I have mudguards on my winter bike, I have warm and appropriate clothing... So I shall be out later

Given the choices of watch cricket or go out cycling in the p*ssing rain id opt for the drenching on the bike every time. This applies to watching snoozefeasts like golf, snooker and horse racing also.
    This serious internet site..............I serious cat
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    adr82 wrote:

Exactly the same for me, won't do the soaked bit though, unless I'm caught out in it. In fact just looking at it pi**ed me off, so I sold it! :D
  • thegreatdivide
    Just back from a 40 miler and the first 20 ish was done in the clouds. Total white out, blowing a gale and bitterly cold and damp. It was exhilarating.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Just back from a 40 miler and the first 20 ish was done in the clouds. Total white out, blowing a gale and bitterly cold and damp. It was exhilarating.
    How on earth did you find twenty miles round here that weren't in the clouds?
  • Garryboy
    Garryboy Posts: 344
    Yep. Brutal wind today - and worst was it was a headwind on the way home!

On the plus side, got a couple of PRs on way out. Including a 2 mile stretch with average speed of c32mph (and still nowhere near top 10 for segment!)

Also had a slight collision with a car, ended up being more pushed by it than hit. Both me and bike fine though so lucky escape for my first (non ice) related crash.

http://www.strava.com/activities/125148547
  • thegreatdivide
    bompington wrote:
    How on earth did you find twenty miles round here that weren't in the clouds?

True. It was bleak today.
  • neilo23
    neilo23 Posts: 783
    2hn3oe0.jpg

Not even wearing arm warmers, you wuss :-D
  • Colinthecop
    If I buy some team kit, would I be as tough as them...?
  • thegreatdivide
    neilo23 wrote:
    2hn3oe0.jpg

That was Stage 19 at last years Tour. I was there and it was a like a hot shower.
  • Turbo trainer and Sufferfest videos for rainy days....
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,018
    If I buy some team kit, would I be as tough as them...?

Only if it's a knock off from the market.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    neilo23 wrote:
    2hn3oe0.jpg

judging by that picture that is because he barely has any arms!! Even I have bigger guns than that!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Colinthecop
    So that would make him more aerodynamic than you....

Sod all use when it kicks off outside a nightclub as 3am but okay for a pro cyclist I guess.