Cycle to Work Scheme - Canyon/Rose

Savagestorm
Savagestorm Posts: 79
edited March 2016 in Road buying advice
Has anyone had any experience in attempting to use the cycle to work scheme with Canyon or Rose? Their popularity stems from their value, however if incompatible with the C2W scheme, others bike may be a better value proposition for me.

Comments

• alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I have just ordered a Canyon Ultimate CF SL 9.0 through the Bike2Work scheme. I am not sure if the other scheme providers are signed up with Canyon yet. I had to speak to Canyon as I got mixed messages from them as to whether I could order what I wanted via the scheme.

They told me that they have only recently started trialling this so it would take them some time to work out the mechanics of payment etc, so patience was required. My order has been placed via the pre payment option though so at least I am in the queue.

As far as I am aware Rose are not available through any of the schemes.

Ultimately very pleased I can use the scheme as was close to pulling the trigger on another bike as I thought both Rose and Canyon were out of the equation. I had then decided to just buy Rose and give up on the scheme before discovering I could go with Canyon.
  • Hi Alex

My boss will buy any bike I want and set up a cycle to work scheme himself via his accountant.

Did you manage to buy the Canyon on the C2W scheme as I cant see anything in the guidance in having to buy the bike in the UK or not?

Thanks Simon
  • It was just a trial and they don't do ctw now I am afraid.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    As Jonny says it was a trial and they only offered it very briefly. It was a bit of a nightmare for them so they decided they wouldn't go forward with any cycle to work schemes. I just got lucky with the timing of it all.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,973
    From what I've read it seems you'd be lucky to buy (and actually take delivery) of a Canyon by any method of purchase, let alone CTW.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • e17blade
    e17blade Posts: 215
    I got a Rose on C2W.

If your employer does any sort of salary sacrifice scheme (which is all C2W really is) then you can buy any bike from anywhere. It's only with voucher schemes that you are limited.
  • E17Blade wrote:
    I got a Rose on C2W.

If your employer does any sort of salary sacrifice scheme (which is all C2W really is) then you can buy any bike from anywhere. It's only with voucher schemes that you are limited.

Is that right? I understood it was only through approved (by HMRC) schemes? I've set up two schemes at our Company and wasn't aware of any other way of doing it?
  • e17blade
    e17blade Posts: 215
    E17Blade wrote:
    I got a Rose on C2W.

Is that right? I understood it was only through approved (by HMRC) schemes? I've set up two schemes at our Company and wasn't aware of any other way of doing it?

Whether you buy a bike or buy a C2W voucher from a scheme the cost just goes through payroll as a salary sacrifice. It makes no difference.

I bought my bike on my credit card, claimed the cost on expenses and then had a salary sacrifice payment deducted each month. If you have any sort of payroll/HR department it really is the easiest thing ever to administer.
  • E17Blade wrote:
    E17Blade wrote:
    I got a Rose on C2W.

Whether you buy a bike or buy a C2W voucher from a scheme the cost just goes through payroll as a salary sacrifice. It makes no difference.

I bought my bike on my credit card, claimed the cost on expenses and then had a salary sacrifice payment deducted each month. If you have any sort of payroll/HR department it really is the easiest thing ever to administer.

Thanks, I'll look into this - the normal schemes charge an admin fee to the bike shop which limits your ability to negotiate on price.