Wheel weight limit

rajdav
rajdav Posts: 42
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I am keen to get Shimano RS-81 C35 wheels but they give a weight limit of 90kg and I am 96 kg.

Am I naive to ignore this, or are these figures over cautious and I'd be fine?

Thanks

Rob
Cannondale Supersix Ultegra
Genesis iO

Comments

• Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Foolhardy might be right word?
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    left the forum March 2023
  • Interesting post as I wanted to buy these wheels yesterday (check out the great price on Pro Bike Kit).

What interested me is the tubeless part that sigma sport were advertising these wheels as. However after talking to several shops this seems to be untrue! Therefore holding off. I recently went tubeless on my 6700 wheelset and its awesome - im sold at least. However want something a little nicer and more aero. Im tempted by the Easton EA90 RT on CRC which come in under £300 with there added discount which seems a massive bargain but maybe not aero enough for what I would like. Think hand builts for me will be the answer but wheelsmith is not taking orders at the moment.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    For £300, a pair of handbults with Shimano hubs, Sapim race (or equivalent) spokes and your choice of rims (Archetype, Open Pro, Excellence etc) is your answer. Trying to find someone to build them may be more problematic, depending where you live.

Harry Rowland is good, he'll ship wheels but only builds with certain hubs & rims. For you Sir at 96Kg, I'm guessing he would recommend Shimano 105 hubs, 32 race spokes all round and Open Pro rims. Almost identical to my winter wheels, they're bullet proof and very nice to ride.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    What interested me is the tubeless part that sigma sport were advertising these wheels as. However after talking to several shops this seems to be untrue!

Did you call Sigma to discuss with them??
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    People will say no, I was 100kg now 91 and ran ac420's for 10k miles with no problems, still got them, run fulcrum zeros now, also no problems, if you like them buy them, too many people will slate factory wheels, if you go handbuilt they will no doubt look like something from the eighties, just my opinion.
  • FYI I did speak to sigma who told me they were tubeless, I pushed harder so he went and eyeballed the wheels and came back and said their website it wrong, they are not tubeless ready out the box. So no purchase for me. Now completely torn between the tubeless C24s on wiggle or handbuilts. I am loving my tubeless set up on the ultegra wheels but they dont feel as snappy or stiff as my neutrons did.

Decisions.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    FYI I did speak to sigma who told me they were tubeless, I pushed harder so he went and eyeballed the wheels and came back and said their website it wrong, they are not tubeless ready out the box. So no purchase for me. Now completely torn between the tubeless C24s on wiggle or handbuilts. I am loving my tubeless set up on the ultegra wheels but they dont feel as snappy or stiff as my neutrons did.

Decisions.

Handbuilts will be better value for money. Pacenti are tubeless ready, Stans are tubeless ready, A 23 are tubeless ready...
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Some riders will be able to ride wheels if they they above the weight limit for 10,000 miles but a 70kg rider may break them quickly it depends on how you ride as much as your weight. All weight limits are a rough guide at best and if you know you not hard on wheels then you can get away with it longer. Handbuilts though can offer better value if they are built properly.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.