Shamal wheel re-dish nightmare!

cswitch
cswitch Posts: 261
edited March 2014 in Workshop
Just got this back from a shop after a re-dish following converting to 11 speed shimano and just noticed the twisted spokes. There's a least two spokes that a screwed and a fair few that are twisted but probably okay. One of the spokes is soo twisted, as in bent, I can't believe they were happy to hand it back in such a state..

I'm going to ask for either a new wheel (unlikely) or it gets sent to Campag for a re-build. Certainly not going to let one of their mechanics near it again.

Curious though to hear thoughts on how you'd play it.

2dq36f.jpg

osa1hk.jpg

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Talk to the shop and get them to send it back to JD whiskers, chickens Cycles or velotech at there expense. Be polite but firm it will help. If they have screwed up they should fix it. That twist is caused by turning the nipple without the use of bladed spoke holder. Let them know Chickens cycles sell the Sapim ones for £6 and a bit trade. They should buy one.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cswitch
    Are they the correct original spokes ? I don't really want a mish mash of spokes types, and really would want them back to factory condition (or near as).
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    Mini bladed spokes and alloy nipples... is it not a story we have heard a million times? Full rebuild is the only option... and not a cheap one, sadly!!

That's NOT due to not having an aero holder, but it's due to seized nipples... I've seen it very frequently

Might turn out to be the most expensive 30 grams saving you've ever made!

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... bites-dust
    left the forum March 2023
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    Mini bladed spokes and alloy nipples... is it not a story we have heard a million times? Full rebuild is the only option... and not a cheap one, sadly!!

That's NOT due to not having an aero holder, but it's due to seized nipples... I've seen it very frequently

Might turn out to be the most expensive 30 grams saving you've ever made!

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... bites-dust

Could you expand on this a little?
    Are you saying the twisted spokes were inevitable because of the nipples being alloy and having seized? Are these Campag wheels notorious for this happening? (only ask as I have a set for summer use)

Just my 3p worth but I would have thought that some responsibility must rest with the mechanic? if the nipples wouldn't loosen he should maybe have advised the OP that new spokes were required before getting stuck into the job.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Alloy nipples will sieze on the spokes, its not specific to Campag wheels. Hence, always use brass nipples with some 30g additional weight, but a massive cost saving when the spokes need adjusting.

And yes, the mechanic should have said he can't re-dish the wheel, rather than twisting the spokes. I would question whether the wheel has in fact been redished since a twisted spoke means the nipple has not moved relative to the spoke and therefore the overall length remains unchanged. What a mess.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ugo.santalucia
    Semantik wrote:
    Just my 3p worth but I would have thought that some responsibility must rest with the mechanic? if the nipples wouldn't loosen he should maybe have advised the OP that new spokes were required before getting stuck into the job.

Yes, but the net result is the same... he needs a rebuild. One could try WD40, but IME when that happens on a mini bladed spoke, it's terminal
    If you care to read the link on my blog you will find the information you were asking about.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Shamal nipples are stainless steel - I put it down to incompetence on behalf of the mechanic, trying to turn the nipple without using a spoke catcher. ACF30 would be better than WD40 to free-off the spokes. Haven't touched the spokes on my Shamals since new - just a tweak of the hub bearing adjuster.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    I keep looking at those pictures, I can't believe that someone in a bike shop would murder spokes like that.
  • ugo.santalucia
    When the spoke twists at the point where round becomes bladed it means the thread is seized, as even holding the bladed part, it would still twist at that point... could be the threadlock they use or a build up of gunk.
    To be honest a 2:1 laced wheel should never be trued... it's probably tensioned at 1300-1400 Newtons both sides, it should never go out of true
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    That is appalling incompetence, so they re-dished the wheel and damaged some of the spokes in the process, and did not contact you to tell you there was a problem, then hoped you would not notice when you collected the wheel! Shameful.
  • cswitch
    Yes pretty shameful if intentional though after speaking to the mechanic today he was genuinely surprised so I do believe it wasn't intentional to hand it back in that state. After speaking to Velotech the Campag service centre it seems that the nipples have a strong thread lock on them so although not seized they are very stiff to turn. 'My' assumption is the mechanic held the spoke key too high up the spoke allowing the spoke to twist along with the nipple. Still, I agree it should have been spotted. I'm sending the wheel to Velotech to have it sorted. Not all spokes need replacing, just the damaged ones, though the wheel does need entirely loosening off and re tensioning.

I've got a refund from the bike shop for the initial redish and a very reasonable price from Velotech to sort out the wheel. So all in all it's moving in the right direction.

I have to commend Graeme at Velotech for the support in getting the issue resolved. Excellent service!
  • ugo.santalucia
    cswitch wrote:
    the nipples have a strong thread lock on them so although not seized they are very stiff to turn.

Which is totally un-necessary in a 2:1 lacing pattern... :roll: