Garmin 510 pairing problem

andrewthomas197
andrewthomas197 Posts: 117
edited March 2014 in Workshop
Hello,

My wife bought me a 510 for my birthday (God bless her) and I am having real problems pairing it with the GSC 10 speed / cadence sensor.

I have previously had a 500 on the same bike and I am using the heart and speed/cadence sensor from that, which all worked fine.

I have tried resetting the speed sensor and searching for it on the 510 but nothing, it can see the heart sensor but not the speed one.

Tried removing the battery in the GSC or a hard reset, but same problem.

I have checked the GPS's software, which is up to date apparently.

Just wondered whether anyone had any other ideas as I am now stuck, as I said the 500 I had paired and setup first time and I am sure I have been doing the same thing this time around but no luck.

Thanks in anticipation.

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I've had the same issue when changing devices and it does seem to be a temperamental issue rather than a permanent fault. I removed the battery and put a new one in. Checked the red light flashed as the pedal went by the sensor to ensure everything was working. I also ensured I'd deleted it from the old device and then tried to connect holding the new device next to the sensor to discover it. Seemed to work for me.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I'm not sure about the 510 but on the 500 you need to create a profile for your bike and that kicks off the pairing process. I had problems as I have a GSC10 and the ANT+ Decathlon sensor on different bikes. In order for the Garmin unit to sync with the Decthlon sensor I had to set up an additional profile for my bike. Though IIRC, the GSC10 worked out of the box but it was the first sensor I had tried to pair with.

Check the manual for profiles/bike settings perhaps???

EDIT: When riding either of the bikes I just go into the settings and select the relevant bike from the profile list. The sensor is then detected with no fuss. You can have 3 bike profiles on the 500, not sure about the 510.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    jordan_217 wrote:
    I'm not sure about the 510 but on the 500 you need to create a profile for your bike and that kicks off the pairing process. I had problems as I have a GSC10 and the ANT+ Decathlon sensor on different bikes. In order for the Garmin unit to sync with the Decthlon sensor I had to set up an additional profile for my bike. Though IIRC, the GSC10 worked out of the box but it was the first sensor I had tried to pair with.

Check the manual for profiles/bike settings perhaps???

EDIT: When riding either of the bikes I just go into the settings and select the relevant bike from the profile list. The sensor is then detected with no fuss. You can have 3 bike profiles on the 500, not sure about the 510.

I have the 810 so assume the 510 is the same with regards to profiles? Yes you can create a number of bike profiles and like you, I select whichever bike I'm using and everything pairs automatically.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Thanks everyone.

I have tried everything but still won't pair with the Speed / Cadence sensor.

I hope it can track itself when it flies through the window......