Servicing Fox Forks

delete_my_account
delete_my_account Posts: 192
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

Is Mojo's service just a lower leg service like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh-sIrnC8xs

I had my forks done about a year ago and it was £109. According to the website it's now £108.

If so, then it will be soooo much cheaper to do it yourself. You only need to buy a seal kit, oil and some suspension lube.

Also, will any old 10wt suspension oil do the job or does it have to be that Fox stuff? I imagine the Fox stuff is more expensive because it says Fox on it. Also I've got some 15wt suspension oil in the garage. I don't suppose this would work?

Also Also, the bloke in the video says service every 30 hours of riding. One pair of my forks was done after three years and there was no lasting damage and I had them done as soon as I noticed a reduction in performance. The other pair haven't been done and have been through two winters and I haven't noticed them get any worse. How often do you get your forks serviced?
Delete my fucking account.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I had my forks done about a year ago and it was £109. According to the website it's now £108.

If so, then it will be soooo much cheaper to do it yourself. You only need to buy a seal kit, oil and some suspension lube.

Also, will any old 10wt suspension oil do the job or does it have to be that Fox stuff? I imagine the Fox stuff is more expensive because it says Fox on it. Also I've got some 15wt suspension oil in the garage. I don't suppose this would work?
    They know stuff like this, so you are paying for knowledge and expertise, not just manual labour.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Even so, if they just do a lower leg service like in the video, then £108 (for mine) is crazy. I won't deny they did a great job. Forks are still going strong, nothing was busted, I had them back within a few days. Great service. And there's obviously a market for it.

Oil: http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Fox-Racing-Shox-Suspension-Fluid-10WT_54926.htm?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=AdwordsProductAds&utm_campaign=Adwords&gclid=CKrtpNK_s70CFZDKtAodwD0ATg
    Seals: http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/Fox-32mm-Fork-Seal-Kit.html?gclid=COqio7nHs70CFUTMtAodxEwAYQ
    Grease: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/stendec-easy-glide-fork-grease/rp-prod3150

£42.50 the first time. After five or so times you're looking at £25 quid a go. Am I missing something?

My only real concern is whether I can get away with using some cheaper 10wt suspension oil or even better, the 15wt stuff in the garage.

Other than that I was just interested in how often people service their forks as mine are definitely not done every 30 hours.
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    They change the damper fluid too, as well as taking apart each piece of the damper and air spring, lubing it, and putting it back together again, as well as giving you new decals. If you have an open bath damper then the whole taking apart thing doesn't really do anything so it's a waste of time and money, but if you have a sealed one then it's kind of worth it. Having said that I haven't had mine serviced in 7 years
  • How would I know whether I have an open/sealed damper?
  • cooldad
    How would I know whether I have an open/sealed damper?
    cooldad wrote:
    They know stuff like this, so you are paying for knowledge and expertise, not just manual labour.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • What's the point in this whole forum then? If I'm not allowed to try and learn about how to service my forks so I can save some money then why does this exist?

"How do i set up my rear mech? My gears are all messed up."
    "Go to the bike shop, you're paying for knowledge, not just manual labour."

"Any tips on bleeding my brakes?"
    "Take it to the bike shop."

"Does this chainline look right to you?"
    "Go and ask someone in the bike shop. I know what's wrong, I just fancy being difficult"
  • cooldad
    You can, but pointing out how you can do it as well as the pro's then asking how to do it is a bit ironic.

If you look in your manual, or find it on the Fox website, it will tell you all about your forks, what damping you have, and oil requirements.

But to answer your questions, you can use any fork oil, but not all 10wt is the same as all other 10wt, and unless you know what you are doing, I would recommend using the recommended viscosity.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I never once even referenced my ability to service forks, be it amateur or better. The fact that I am asking these questions would indicate my ability to be the former.

I merely pointed out that I would be able to do it much more cheaply.

Just thought of another benefit being that your bike is only out of action for an hour or so, not a whole week plus.

Given I know almost nothing about oil, I had better use the ccorrect stuff and leave the 15wt alone.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    A professional service by Mojo or TF Tuned includes servicing the dampers and air spring as well and replacing internal o rings and seals. They also inspect for damage and know where problems are most likely to occur.
    I give my forks a lower lube every two months and send them to TF Tuned once a year. They still feel like nnew.