frames for a winter build.

ianbar
ianbar Posts: 1,354
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
i am starting to look at options for next winters bike. i would like it to have full mudguards. generally i wonder if steel is the way to go, i generally would like to keep the costs down. i am probably going to put 105 on the frame, with my aksiums. any frame suggestions very welcome.
enigma esprit
cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I would take a good look at CX frames...most modern road frames don't have suitable clearance for decent mudguards.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    Genesis Equillibrium. Fits guards and will take certain 28s at the same time. I have a 2013 00 for commuting and I have fitted SKS chromoplastics and gatorskin 25s on it with no problem at all. The frames you buy seprately are better than my reynolds 520 framed 00.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    I would suggest looking at Paul Milnes Ebay offerings. Plenty of choice and not expensive - the Forme and Merida alloy frames have mudguard eyelets front and rear.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Paul-Milnes-Cy ... 34.c0.m322

I sourced a Forme Longcliffe 2.0 frame from his shop last year for a winter build. Great frame and excellent service.

Finished build with 'guards as an illustration (105 5700 and Shimano R501 wheels)

12302583855_3529c4979f_b.jpg
  • spadve71
    spadve71 Posts: 353
    Kinesis T2 Racelight :D just a good all round bike.
  • This has done ok over the winter :D steel and takes guards, bought as a frame set

Surly1_zps6c5e3ff7.jpg
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    I have the Dolan Prefissio.
    £200 with seat post and carbon fork, job done.
    It's been great this winter, full guards and 25's

Matt
  • Serious Cat
    Serious Cat Posts: 489
    drlodge wrote:
    I would take a good look at CX frames...most modern road frames don't have suitable clearance for decent mudguards.

That's great point.

In essence a winter bike is something that can get covered in all the sh*t on the roads that winter season throws at it . Id been toying with the idea of picking up a used CX frame that I could stick an 8 speed sora compact and shifters on and would appreciate any suggestions for CX frames that are pretty cheap yet perfectly functional for road use and take full guards with 25mm tyres without issues.
    This serious internet site..............I serious cat
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    matt-h wrote:
    I have the Dolan Prefissio.
    £200 with seat post and carbon fork, job done.
    It's been great this winter, full guards and 25's

Matt
    Which 25s do you use?
  • jamie4759
    jamie4759 Posts: 117
    I use Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons on all bikes, summer, winter and commuting. First class but more expensive than most.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    currently i am looking towards the dolan if for anything the value of it. i don't want it too nice as with all winter bikes it wants to be cheap so it doesn't matter how mucky it gets. the group would at least have to be tiagra just so i can swap wheels easily between all my bikes.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012