Need helicoil fitting in york...

jayson
jayson Posts: 4,606
edited May 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Afternoon all its been awhile since i was last here but i need some help. My problem is the bottom thread on the posts of my forks has been stripped and i need it fixing with a helicoil but i dont know where to go.

I went into my lbs and they'd never even heard of helicoils let alone know anywhere locally that can fit them so im opening up to the good folk here in the hope someone can point me in the right direction.

In case your wondering they're fox 32 floats which is why my lbs wouldnt just rethread them being magnesium and soft metal so the helicoil is my only option. The shop said i could buy a new set of lowers for about £175 then a new set of seals for £25 and have all that fitted for another £50 which i cant afford at all and wouldnt pay on principal so im desperately hoping someone here can help me out :D

Please please please... :mrgreen:

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A local engineering workshop. Assuming there's enough metal left.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Which LBS?

I can think of two or three that should be up for it.

Or think garages etc....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    So you've broken your fork in York - I bet that you feel like a nork - lbs is unhelpful coz he's a dork.

Is this a summary of your dilemma?
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • jayson
    nicklouse wrote:
    Which LBS?

Or think garages etc....
    Nick, I went to York Cycle Works first off cause they're prob the best in town and they'd never even heard of helicoils much less how to use them and the only other shops in town are not even at their calibre so i avoided them.

I could take it to Evans where it came from but again im not overly confident in their skills in somethin like this and its an expensive pair of forks if they make a mess of things.
  • Im assuming its an m6 helicoil you need, if you are proper struggling to get it mended, drop me an email to tz250bloke@hotmail.com and I should be able to arrange to sort it out for you. Its a fairly easy job to do, and I'm just down the road in howden
    2011 carrera fury
    2012 20" onza genesis trials bike
    2014 carrera virtuoso road bike
  • nicklouse
    jayson wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    Which LBS?

Or think garages etc....
    Nick, I went to York Cycle Works first off cause they're prob the best in town and they'd never even heard of helicoils much less how to use them and the only other shops in town are not even at their calibre so i avoided them.

I could take it to Evans where it came from but again im not overly confident in their skills in somethin like this and its an expensive pair of forks if they make a mess of things.

In someways that does not surprise me as they do seem hit or miss in there.

Cycle heaven would be my first choice. And then find an engineers shop.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Pity you've got a bike and not a train - good locomotive workshops in York. .. Just saying..
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Cycle heaven, as above. proper bike shop.
  • jayson
    Cycle Heaven, thanks guys i'll give them a visit and see what they say.

I much appreciate the advice and help :D
  • jayson
    In case anyone is wondering i managed to get my forks sorted out, Cycle Heaven were no help unfortunately they said they dont do such repairs anymore cos they dont really deal with mtb's these days so instead i went to Fulford Cycles in york who did a cracking job.

These guys know mtb's inside out and had the job done in no time at all for the princely sum of £30 so im more than happy :D

Special thanks to richard schumacher who did the job, you saved my ass big time :mrgreen:
  • nicklouse
    That was going to be my next suggestion. I wonder if he still has the Woodman frame with a RAC fork on it?