Carbon frameset for self build

littledove44
littledove44 Posts: 871
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
The time has come to commit to my new bike. I really like my Roubaix and will be keeping it at our holiday home. Yes, I could just buy another one, but I want to build up my own, both for the fun and the knowledge gained. I would also like something different just for the thrill of the variety.

What I do know is that comfort is very important to me so nothing too racy. The bike will be used for local (short steepish hills mainly around 10-15% and rolling countryside) runs of a hour or a few as well as sportive type events up to 100 miles.

I haven't decided on total budget yet, so that's not really an issue at this stage.

I have looked at the Time Fluidity and was impressed, but I am completely open to suggestions.

Thanks.

Comments

• No opinions?

That's a first on this forum.
    Normally there are more opinions than people.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    There's a huge number of possibilities - which could be reduced slightly if you gave people some idea of budget..??
  • Tiberius007
    Tiberius007 Posts: 195
    I asked the same question recently. Views were split 50/50 and in the end I didn't or at least haven't taken that route.

I wanted to upgrade to a carbon frame and thought self build would be a good route.

Anyway I am still looking, and in fact I am looking at Roubaixs currently. Are they any good?

I am hearing/reading a lot of good things. I worry about the weight - reviews say they are heavy, and one of the things I was after was a light comfortable bike and that is worrying me a little.
  • Imposter wrote:
    There's a huge number of possibilities - which could be reduced slightly if you gave people some idea of budget..??
    Ok, if it helps.

Maximum £4k for the frame and forks.
  • I asked the same question recently. Views were split 50/50 and in the end I didn't or at least haven't taken that route.

I wanted to upgrade to a carbon frame and thought self build would be a good route.

Anyway I am still looking, and in fact I am looking at Roubaixs currently. Are they any good?

I am hearing/reading a lot of good things. I worry about the weight - reviews say they are heavy, and one of the things I was after was a light comfortable bike and that is worrying me a little.

My 2013 Roubaix with shimano 105 and Tiagra mix and mavic ksyrium wheels weighs 8.5 kg and cost me £1600.
    My friends 2014 Cannondale Synapse with Dura Ace and Cosmic Carbones weighs 7.5 kg and cost him £5000.

Is my Roubaix heavy? Well, all things are relative!
  • ivanoile
    ivanoile Posts: 202
    Bianchi Infinito CV for comfort
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Imposter wrote:
    Ok, if it helps.

Maximum £4k for the frame and forks.

Argon 18 Gallium Pro , around half your budget.

For that, or a bit more, you could go custom carbon from Legend (I think the 7.5 starts around £3k, and the 10.5 is £4.75k F&F)

• My 2013 Roubaix with shimano 105 and Tiagra mix and mavic ksyrium wheels weighs 8.5 kg and cost me £1600.
    My friends 2014 Cannondale Synapse with Dura Ace and Cosmic Carbones weighs 7.5 kg and cost him £5000.

Or £1500 buys you a Canyon weighing 7.3kg making both the Roubaix and the Synapse Heavy.
    Relatively speaking of course.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • ivanoile wrote:
    Bianchi Infinito CV for comfort
    Def one for the short list

• My 2013 Roubaix with shimano 105 and Tiagra mix and mavic ksyrium wheels weighs 8.5 kg and cost me £1600.

Or £1500 buys you a Canyon weighing 7.3kg making both the Roubaix and the Synapse Heavy.
    Relatively speaking of course.
    Sorry, not enough soul for me.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Cervelo r5 or bianchi oltre.
  • Parlee Z5 SL...with a custom paint job if you like!

Nice paint configuration toy on their website, or take inspiration from their Flickr page....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/parleecycl ... 726276180/

(There are some horrid examples on there too, but you can't account for some folks erm....taste :D )
  • Parlee Z5 SL...with a custom paint job if you like!

Nice paint configuration toy on their website, or take inspiration from their Flickr page....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/parleecycl ... 726276180/

(There are some horrid examples on there too, but you can't account for some folks erm....taste :D )
    Wow. Will take a closer look.