Michelin Pro 4 Service Course - any good?

jordan_217
jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
After the last pair of GP4000S' lasted >500 miles before becoming shredded, I'm not sure I want to risk another pair. (have they changed the compound?).

I'm looking at the Michelin Pro 4's as an alternative. Are they any good? Just want a training tyre but something with a bit of zip. Basically an alternative GP4000S.
“Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Same boat as me. Nothing wrong with the GP4000S, mine lasted > 3000 miles in all weathers. I've just put a set of Pro 4 Service Course on my Rourke, only done 1 ride with them, and they seem fine (didn't shred or puncture!). I'm not yet convinced if they ride any "better" than the GP4000S, certianly they're not in the save league as the Vittoria Open Paves, but then the Paves cut up very easily. Grip is perhaps more sticky...hard to tell.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Used both. Prefer the Pro4 SC. They don't shred like the Pro3 or 4000s.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Yeah, the Pro4 SC are nice.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Race-weight tyres, so don't expect huge mileage, I'd expect 1000 miles before they'd be shredded beyond use.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • drlodge
    Well if they don't shred like GP4000S, and my GP4000S lasted over 3000 miles, I would expect them to last more than 1,000 miles :?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Grill
    Monty Dog wrote:
    Race-weight tyres, so don't expect huge mileage, I'd expect 1000 miles before they'd be shredded beyond use.

I've had 3 pairs. All lasted over 3000 miles. They're only 5g lighter than the 4000s, so hardly race-weight (the Comp and Comp LTD are the race models).
  • jordan_217
    Thanks folks. Words of praise from people who seem to know their stuff, good enough for me.

Ordered. FYI - currently £40 a pair from Merlin.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Grill
    Bargain, think I'll order a new pair too... :)
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Grill wrote:
    Bargain, think I'll order a new pair too... :)

+1 to that - lovely tyres and at £20ea delivered a great buy (and great find 8) ). I've just ordered another set for my deep carbon wheels (got some on the shallow section summer wheels also). I've got the 25mm Pro4 Endurance version on my winter / training wheels also.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Shame they're only 23c
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • jordan_217
    Shame they're only 23c

They're gonna dress the new wheels I'm getting built by Malcolm at The Cycle Clinic. He's advised the rims I'm going for are slightly wider and should give a 23mm tyre the footprint of a 24-25mm tyre, giving a bit more comfort and grip in the corners. Downside - 3 week lead time :(

If you dont mind red and 23mm then these are even cheaper at £16 :)

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/michelin ... 70153.html
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Shame they're only 23c

They're gonna dress the new wheels I'm getting built by Malcolm at The Cycle Clinic. He's advised the rims I'm going for are slightly wider and should give a 23mm tyre the footprint of a 24-25mm tyre, giving a bit more comfort and grip in the corners. Downside - 3 week lead time :(

Thanks. I currently have 25c though which I like. Offers quite common on these tyres now
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Very odd that these tyres are having to be pitched below the 4000s. I have had a Pro 4 SC on my back wheel all through the winter, used daily for a short commute in central London. They have some cuts on them but incredibly I've only had one punc*ure. I think they are a great all round tyre perfect for this time of year.

Peter
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Yes they are good. I like the endurance version for a winter tyre.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • eddiefiola
    eddiefiola Posts: 344
    i have them on the archetypes I got from thecycleclinic, coming from gp4000s I'm pretty impressed with them.

SS34oI8.png
  • drlodge
    eddiefiola wrote:
    i have them on the archetypes I got from thecycleclinic, coming from gp4000s I'm pretty impressed with them.

SS34oI8.png

On a 32 spoker, that's one strong wheel! Probably a bit stiffer and a smidge heavier than my 32H Ambrosio Excellight rimmed wheels.
    Find me on Strava
  • eddiefiola
    Yeah, 6ft 2 and 97kg, but getting it down, you certainly dont have to worry about any holes in the road with this wheelset and 25mm tires ;)
  • drlodge
    Good to see someone using sensible wheels for their needs! I'm 5' 9" and 77kg...32H is more than enough for me too :D
    Find me on Strava
  • jordan_217
    drlodge wrote:
    Good to see someone using sensible wheels for their needs! I'm 5' 9" and 77kg...32H is more than enough for me too :D

:shock: I'm 80kg and have gone for 20/24 but did discuss thoroughly with Malcolm first. My rim choice is plenty stiff enough to compensate for the lower spoke count apparently. He's the wheel builder and I'm not, so I'll trust him :)
  • eddiefiola
    the wheels i used for 3500kms before were 16/21, so between that and 28/32 is quite a difference, had no issues at all with the 16/21, maybe a little bit of flex when really pushing it, but Malcolm recommended this stronger build so i'll listen to the expert.
  • ViperS15
    ViperS15 Posts: 61
    They're a great tyre. For those wanting 25C why not go for the Endurance version? There isn't that much loss of performance in them and you get more puncture protection too.

Pro 4 SC hunters should have a look at this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mich ... prod113810
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    Suffered more cuts than a thatcher government
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    ViperS15 wrote:
    They're a great tyre. For those wanting 25C why not go for the Endurance version? There isn't that much loss of performance in them and you get more puncture protection too.

Pro 4 SC hunters should have a look at this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mich ... prod113810
    There's no all black one though. that's what stopped me.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Lifeboy123
    Lifeboy123 Posts: 213
    I have both Gp4000s and Pro 4 SC.....I prefer the Continental , better grip , hard wearing
  • Grill
    Suffered more cuts than a thatcher government

On Pro3's perhaps, the Pro4 don't have that problem.
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    I like the pro4 sc and use them in all weathers and on old farm lanes with no problems.
  • bendip
    bendip Posts: 114
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Shame they're only 23c

Thanks for the link, ordered a pair, just took off a pair of pro 4 endurance and i think they were a least as good as the old krylions, had one flat in 3000 miles, 23mm fine for me as my steel frame won't take 25's with it's oem mudguards
    Tell the stars I'm coming,
    make them leave a space for me;
    whether bones, or dust,
    or ashes once among them I'll be free
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    About to put on my third pair of Mich Pro 4s in just over a 18 months. Only one puncture and that was on Saturday. Word of warning for those that like coloured walls. My first pair I had to send back as the black top section was splitting where it had been bonded to the white part of the tyre at the sides. Current pair are also splitting in the same place (but have had a reasonable amount of use so not complaining).
    Apart from that. Fault free, so guessing the all black ones don't have the same problem.
    Someone's just passed me again
  • drlodge
    Having just done 72 hilly and fast miles (well fast for me) around Ashdown Forest yesterday on the Pro4 SC, I am liking these tyres. They seem a little more resilient that the Conti GP4000S, not so "dead" and may be a bit more grippy. In other respects, much the same. Didn't suffer any sudden deflation issues, but then I generally don't.
    Find me on Strava
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I bought a pair from Planet-X when they were £15 each.

Hit a pothole at ~30mph in a race though and ripped the sidewall on the rear after only ~50 miles. I've since bought another rear (although the offer had expired so had to fork out £23!) and they seem to ride really nicely. They roll very well, feel nicer than the GP4000s i'd been using previously, and look pretty decent too.