Best Value Touring GPS

TFC1
TFC1 Posts: 62
edited March 2014 in Road buying advice
I am looking to buy a GPS for a five day ride across Spain / Portugal. The route will be available to download prior to us heading off so something with decetn euro mapping capability would be best.

Prefer to spend sub £200 if possible. Any suggestions on what to go for?

thanks

Comments

• Tiberius007
    Tiberius007 Posts: 195
    I don't know about touring - but I just bought the Garmin 800 performance bundle on Amazon for about £234, HR/Cadence included, and maps can be added. Slightly over your price (sorry). I have been reviewing for about 6 months and it got good reviews in the main hence I took the plunge.

I think its great.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I've got a eTrex 30 - battery life is great and uses conventional AAs, fairly easy to use, very robust (handles being thrown down the road quite happily); don't know what the European map options are though.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    TFC1 wrote:
    I am looking to buy a GPS for a five day ride across Spain / Portugal. The route will be available to download prior to us heading off so something with decetn euro mapping capability would be best.

Prefer to spend sub £200 if possible. Any suggestions on what to go for?

thanks

Etrex 20 or Dakota 20 with openstreetmap.

http://www.handtec.co.uk/garmin-etrex-20-010-00970-10.html

Garmin_Etrex_20_M_1.jpg

Maps here http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Choose generic routable, choose enable manual tile selection, from the europe dropdown choose spain then add portugal by clicking on the relevant tiles.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    oxoman wrote:
    You could try looking at Garmin Touring or Touring Plus they come with mapping not sure if they cover the areas you wanted, but worth looking at in my opinion.

That's far from a touring GPS. Really stupid naming on Garmins part - not really sure what they were thinking. Freezing 77 is probably on the mark with the likes of the Etrex.
    Faster than a tent.......