New Handlebar Grips Time - Flats

Levi_501
Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
edited April 2014 in Commuting chat
Afternoon all.

I am in the need for some new grips. I currently have ESI Extra chunky and have had in the past Bontrager Race X Lite.

Obviously I am looking for the best anti vibration grips I can get to take the road buzz out.

Does any one have any good tried and tested solutions/recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,367
    I think foam ones are good for road buzz. I used to get tingling fingers and changed to some Specialized ones with the support that sticks out the back. Worked for me.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    Yeah, i'd go foam if road buzz is your thing. there are loc on ones availabel now which will stop most of the disadvantages

Alternatives would be the ODI grips or ergon ones
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I've used the Specialized BG and Ergon Grips, both are good but even drop bars don't eliminate numb hands for me.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Ritchey WCS foam grips, cheap, last ages and very light.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Funny enough, I ordered some Ritchey foams this afternoon.

Now just need recommendations on which hair spray, extra hold or wind swept :mrgreen:

Thanks guys
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Neither, ideally a rubber component assembly emulsion, failing that liquid soap, when it dries it goes gooey and sticky, then add water to release.

I like the KCNC foam or Avenir equivalent.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    As above liquid soap, I actually used a car shampoo and it has worked perfectly they never move even when wet though from rain.
  • jonnyboy77
    jonnyboy77 Posts: 547
    I didn't need to use anything when I fitted the Ritchey WCS foam grips, however when I removed them to swap brake levers I managed to turn one inside out and that seems to be terminal.

Since then I switched to lock on grips, and they are just as comfortable and way easier to take on and off. There are some foam lock ons around too.

- Jon
    Commuting between Twickenham <---> Barbican on my trusty Ridgeback Hybrid - url=http://strava.com/athletes/125938/badge]strava[/url