Rose Pro SL - What Version?

DurhamishDC
DurhamishDC Posts: 21
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
After spending my first year on a borrowed Allez I am going to take the plunge on my own and practically sold on a Rose Pro SL.

I just wanted some advice on what spec to go for having no real cycling friends to turn to. The standard model comes with Omega/105 at under £850 - do I just stick with this and upgrade later or do I pay the additional £300 or so to have Ultegra or Athena/Chorus now? I know there is only £200 difference in the groupsets themselves so value for money wise it is not fantastic but I just wanted to see peoples opinion?

Another thing I was considering was an upgrade from the Askiums to either Cosmic Elites (£100) or Krysium Equipe (£130) - again doing a little research I found that this actually seems like decent value so is this a worthwhile upgrade also?

Thanks

Comments

• lgcbiking
    lgcbiking Posts: 34
    You could also consider the Rose RS1400 wheelset, £110 more (wheels + tyres), but 300g lighter than the krysium equipe. I'm about to pull the trigger on the pro sl 2000, and considering upgrading to those wheels. I haven't found loads of information on them (my only worry), but from what I gather they're kinlin xr200/xr300 rims (front and back) with novatek hubs, and I've seen pretty positive things on these.
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    Another thing I was considering was an upgrade from the Askiums to either Cosmic Elites (£100) or Krysium Equipe (£130) - again doing a little research I found that this actually seems like decent value so is this a worthwhile upgrade also?

Thanks

Either of these is not a worthwhile upgrade.
  • lgcbiking
    lgcbiking wrote:
    You could also consider the Rose RS1400 wheelset, £110 more (wheels + tyres), but 300g lighter than the krysium equipe. I'm about to pull the trigger on the pro sl 2000, and considering upgrading to those wheels. I haven't found loads of information on them (my only worry), but from what I gather they're kinlin xr200/xr300 rims (front and back) with novatek hubs, and I've seen pretty positive things on these.

BTW, by £100 more, I mean compared to the standard setup, so cheaper than the krysium equipe.
  • lgcbiking wrote:
    lgcbiking wrote:

BTW, by £100 more, I mean compared to the standard setup, so cheaper than the krysium equipe.

I have just had a play around with the spec and I am certainly intrigued by the RS1400s, especially if the Mavic upgrades are not worth it. You have any other contenders before deciding on the Pro SL?
  • lgcbiking
    lgcbiking wrote:
    lgcbiking wrote:

I have just had a play around with the spec and I am certainly intrigued by the RS1400s, especially if the Mavic upgrades are not worth it. You have any other contenders before deciding on the Pro SL?

I was also considering the Canyon Roadlite 6. However, the base model is £90 more expensive (once you take shipping into account), for the same spec except for a 105 crankset (instead of the omega on the rose). The Rose is also 300g lighter. My only decision really is colour and whether to upgrade the wheels.
  • Well I'm sold on the white and orange, the more I think about it I think I am going to have to go for the 2000 model like yourself in real terms as a relative newcomer to road cycling spending increasing your first bike value by an additional 40% on a better groupset is madness when 105 is perfectly suitable. Tyres on the other hand I know will make a difference having some half decent ones on the Allez before them being sold and swapped by the owner for some canny lead made numbers.

I looked at the Canyon too but preferred the more simplistic design of the Rose, looked at the Ribble R872 also as seen a few in the flesh and they really are a beautiful machine when done right but the fact I had seen a few about on the road is probably what put me off.
  • buzzwold
    buzzwold Posts: 197
    Well I'm sold on the white and orange, the more I think about it I think I am going to have to go for the 2000 model like yourself in real terms as a relative newcomer to road cycling spending increasing your first bike value by an additional 40% on a better groupset is madness when 105 is perfectly suitable. Tyres on the other hand I know will make a difference having some half decent ones on the Allez before them being sold and swapped by the owner for some canny lead made numbers.

I looked at the Canyon too but preferred the more simplistic design of the Rose, looked at the Ribble R872 also as seen a few in the flesh and they really are a beautiful machine when done right but the fact I had seen a few about on the road is probably what put me off.

Move down South. The R872 as common as unicorns down here. I suspect that you'll be seeing a lot more Rose bikes in the future.
    Someone's just passed me again
  • lgcbiking
    If you haven't ordered yet, I've just found out that there are now more free wheel options available on the pro sl 2000. The Ksyrium Equipe and Rose wheels are free upgrades now. I was set on getting the RS1400 (for £110 extra), so that's great!
    Weirdly, about an hour ago I could also add tyres for free, now it's charging me. Silly of me not to just add to the basket immediately. Anyway, considering the Mavic Cosmic Elite as a £100 upgrade (as opposed to the Rose RS1400 for £50 or the Equipe for free)... Anybody have any thoughts on these three options?
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    buzzwold wrote:
    Well I'm sold on the white and orange, the more I think about it I think I am going to have to go for the 2000 model like yourself in real terms as a relative newcomer to road cycling spending increasing your first bike value by an additional 40% on a better groupset is madness when 105 is perfectly suitable. Tyres on the other hand I know will make a difference having some half decent ones on the Allez before them being sold and swapped by the owner for some canny lead made numbers.

Move down South. The R872 as common as unicorns down here. I suspect that you'll be seeing a lot more Rose bikes in the future.

Absolutely Buzz, only ever seen 1 (apart from mine) down here. Been to a few sportives in the last few years and all the usual suspects but no 872 which, considering what a bargain it is surprises me. Just need some 50mm carbon wheels now for mine and it will be complete. A sub 7.5kg bike for £1500 is pretty decent in my book.
  • lgcbiking
    lgcbiking wrote:
    If you haven't ordered yet, I've just found out that there are now more free wheel options available on the pro sl 2000. The Ksyrium Equipe and Rose wheels are free upgrades now. I was set on getting the RS1400 (for £110 extra), so that's great!
    Weirdly, about an hour ago I could also add tyres for free, now it's charging me. Silly of me not to just add to the basket immediately. Anyway, considering the Mavic Cosmic Elite as a £100 upgrade (as opposed to the Rose RS1400 for £50 or the Equipe for free)... Anybody have any thoughts on these three options?

Actually I was confusing Cosmic and Ksyrium I think, might stick with the rose wheels after all..