Decent average speed

2»

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    ianbar wrote:
    just thinking about it, if you ride sportives you could always look at the average speeds they give gold silver bronze times for and look to jump to the next level.

Indeedy, I'm doing the Burgess Hill SpringTime Classic on Sunday, 72 miles round Ashdown forest so quite hilly. The gold time is around 4:35 for my age group which equates to 16mph average. My moving time last year was about this, but I stopped at the half way point. This year I plan not to stop and aim for the gold time.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    ianbar wrote:
    just thinking about it, if you ride sportives you could always look at the average speeds they give gold silver bronze times for and look to jump to the next level.

I wish I had thought of that :wink:
  • MrGrumpy
    MrGrumpy Posts: 288
    my average varies on the commute from 16 upto 20, too many variables effect it, traffic lights, road traffic etc. Its not a great measure but for those of us with no proper power meters its the only real measure we have.
  • The best average is simply the one you can produce. In all the years ive been cycling i have found there are simply too many factors to determine a good average.
    Things like overall fitness, weight and the course always play a part and you will find that any one of them will fluctuate, ie: weight goes up and down, fitness goes up and down, courses can be hilly or flat etc.

Theres no point comparing your average with someone else, as their life is different to yours. Things as simple as having children who keep you up all night which means you lack sleep, can influence a ride the next day, as an example.

But i would say that fitness and weight are the key, since losing a couple of stone i can now average 16mph on my own as opposed to 13-14 two years ago. If im riding with a friend we can average 16-18mph, thats on rolling roads, with some hills, some false flats and general flats, so a bit of everything.

But your average is your average, with regular training or exercise it can slowly go up, but always ask yourself how fast do you need to go? Most of us arent pro racers, and so what if another guy averages 1mph quicker than you, it just means he gets to the teahut a couple of minutes before you, big deal :D just get to know the teahut lady and she'll put aside a slice of cake whilst telling him its all gone :D
  • In all aspects of cycling, remember that you're only against the clock if you're watching it; that also goes for not feeling you have to have your stem slammed if you'd rather have it higher, and not giving up beer if you think you're light enough already. Most amateurs, even some rather good ones, won't produce incredible average speeds on their training rides; but I think most people have a flat 25 in an hour or a <24 minute 10 in them if they're willing to train hard enough.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    just continuing my responses, i averaged 15.1 over 60 miles yesterday total climbing was something like 1200m. i was very happy with that, but i did get over taken by the chap i rode with last week and later found out he averaged 17+ which is rather gutting lol
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012