Interesting new Light

rjsterry
rjsterry Posts: 27,691
edited March 2014 in Commuting chat
Spotted this on Dezeen.

http://www.dezeen.com/2014/03/26/paul-cocksedge-double-o-circular-bicycle-lights/

Looks intriguing - I quite like the idea of a less concentrated light, although I wonder what kind of beam it can throw when the street lights are further apart.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I like the idea that you can lock it, but apart from that looks like one of those things you get from pound land.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    Looks like a perfect solution to a problem nobody has. Up there with the cucumber cover.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    The front would be fine for lit up areas when you're only using it to be seen - bigger is often better for this purpose - but it may not be the light of choice for picking your way along a towpath in the dark. The rear could be better than most for being seen, again because of its size.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • supersonic wrote:
    I like the idea that you can lock it, but apart from that looks like one of those things you get from pound land.

I don't know. I think it looks mint (polo mint)
    Looks like a perfect solution to a problem nobody has. Up there with the cucumber cover.

What about all those people who slip and fall while carrying their cucumber causing it to penetrate their intimate areas? From A&E admissions, I understand this is a surprisingly common occurrence that might be avoided by a simple cover.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,691

Really? The rare occasions I lock my bike up outside, I then spend a couple of minutes removing the lights, saddle bag and mini pump and anything else attractive to the passing opportunist tea leaf. Lights you can lock securely to the bike seem like a useful if modest improvement.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    rjsterry wrote:

Really? The rare occasions I lock my bike up outside, I then spend a couple of minutes removing the lights, saddle bag and mini pump and anything else attractive to the passing opportunist tea leaf. Lights you can lock securely to the bike seem like a useful if modest improvement.
    To the average lifter they probably look like an alarm.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • First.Aspect
    ..... or a stargate (for rodents)

....or a halo (for law abiding cyclists)
  • Jehannum
    Jehannum Posts: 107
    It's all very well being able to lock the lights up, but what's to stop some scrote from nicking the batteries, or just switching it on, so you have no working light when you get back to it?

J.
    Reduce your carbon footprint - ride a metal bike!
  • rjsterry wrote:

Yes, but you still have to remove the lights with this thing. The difference is that instead of putting it in your pocket or bag, you lock it up.

"Look, we've made a light that is too big to put in your pocket, but you can lock it up".

"Err, but I have a small light that fits in my pocket"

"Yes, but look, we've made a light that is too big to put in your pocket, but you can lock it up".

etc...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Not convinced by the "magnets to hold it in place" aspect. I'd expect rough roads to shake 'em off.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • First.Aspect
    Its obvious. The hole in the middle is large enough to receive a cucumber, so it would provide an easy way to transport a cucumber.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    side visibility looks like it's been sacrificed for aesthetics here. I like that it is trying to create a 'bigger' light that is maybe less likely to be lost in the traffic background but it looks too compromised by it's desire to be lockable - which looks pretty superfluous to me.