TT Bike help please

2»

Comments

• rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,922
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Roger! Not seen one before. It's a great looking frame though. Wonder how much the goto bike ones are...

Again from the TT forum. Think someone tried to get one direct but was told they couldn't sell to the UK. As if Dolan had the sole rights to sell them.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Rory,
    They certainly were selling certain models when I looked back in 2011; though they didn't sell to the UK what was the PX Exocet (but you could say have it bought from Germany...). Costs for a single frame then was: WS01 $700 if you bought just a single unit, the TT223 (PX Exocet) again $700. I still have the spreadsheet they sent me from back then if you want a gander.

Brett
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    rozzer32 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    The Dolan Scala is as generic Chinese as the Focus. They are made to dolan's spec and design and made in China. The focus is made to focus' design and made in China.

I don't think it is Nap.

http://www.gotobike.com.cn/gs_detail.asp?id=500392&nowmenuid=500006&previd=500027

Although I've just pinched that from a thread on the TT forum.

Dolan have changed the design very slightly from the Goto one but it does look pretty much the same. It can still be made to Dolan's design and specs but if they don't actually own the mould then there's nothing to stop the supplier pressing out a load more for someone else or themselves and flogging them wherever they're allowed to do so.

I've finished building mine now and whilst I've only had time for a couple of hours on the turbo with it to try and dial in the fit and sort out the shifting (front is fine, rear is causing a few issues) it certainly looks the part! First 10 with it on Tuesday I think!
  • rozzer32
    Now tempted my the Felt DA4. Dura Ace 11 speed mechs which I could swap out for my Ultegra 6800 on my road bike. Same mould as the DA1. Would probably swap the vision shifters for Shimano. Anyone had any expericance of them?

mdb-f8021_da4_mattecarbon_red-shadow.jpg
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I much prefer DA shifters. Way more robust and easier all around.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • meesterbond
    I thought someone had photoshopped a brake lever onto the extensions...
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361

First run by Spartacus I believe? Designed to not have to sit up to brake and thus save those vital seconds/body air braking
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • rozzer32
    brettjmcc wrote:

First run by Spartacus I believe? Designed to not have to sit up to brake and thus save those vital seconds/body air braking

No they are the shifter not a brake lever.

Pull the lever for upshifts, push a button for downshifts.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/vision-metron-time-trial-groupset-first-look-33976/
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    rozzer32 wrote:
    Now tempted my the Felt DA4. Dura Ace 11 speed mechs which I could swap out for my Ultegra 6800 on my road bike. Same mould as the DA1. Would probably swap the vision shifters for Shimano. Anyone had any expericance of them?

That's the wrong Felt.
    You want this one:
    Felt-Bikes-Mountain-Road-2014-30.jpg

Oh wait.....that's another tri-bike!

I like it!
  • rozzer32
    I don't want a bike for Tris, TT only. Otherwise I'd end up looking like this.

backwards.jpeg
  • ai_1
    rozzer32 wrote:

backwards.jpeg
    Why?
    TTs don't have transitions so almost no chance of ending up with your helmet backwards.
    Let's be honest Tri bikes ARE more efficient than TT bikes.... but if you want to play by the rules :roll:

P.S.
    Is that Derek Zoolander in the photo?
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Ai_1 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

backwards.jpeg

P.S.

No, It's Grill at Cardiff Wheelers Summer 25 :D
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    rozzer32 wrote:

I have a 2013 DA4, been a great first TT bike. The shifters are excellent, nearest you will get to electric without being electric. No need to move hand position at all to change. I have put some decent wheels on it and a Quarq, when I do come to change it will likely be for a Canyon cos they look the business and by then I might have my position something like sorted. I had to get an adjustable top crown for the Felt cos the stock one had the front end way too high for me.
  • rozzer32
    xscreamsuk wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

I have a 2013 DA4, been a great first TT bike. The shifters are excellent, nearest you will get to electric without being electric. No need to move hand position at all to change. I have put some decent wheels on it and a Quarq, when I do come to change it will likely be for a Canyon cos they look the business and by then I might have my position something like sorted. I had to get an adjustable top crown for the Felt cos the stock one had the front end way too high for me.

Was the stem easy to get hold of? I know Felt do different position stems but looks like I'd have to get them from Germany.
  • Grill
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Ai_1 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

backwards.jpeg

P.S.

No, It's Grill at Cardiff Wheelers Summer 25 :D

Come on now, everyone knows I only ride with black bar tape. :wink:
  • xscreamsuk
    xscreamsuk Posts: 318
    rozzer32 wrote:
    xscreamsuk wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

Was the stem easy to get hold of? I know Felt do different position stems but looks like I'd have to get them from Germany.

I got it from Germany, no bother at all.
  • sopworth
    sopworth Posts: 191
    My two pence on the situation....

I decided to buy a TT rig, mainly for Triathlon but also to TT on. I had a budget (1.5k).

First stop was to visit a bike fitter and jump on his Retul rig and got my stack and reach measured up in a position I was a) comfortable, b) aero and c) hitting the numbers to enable me to run of the bike well.

This fitting cost £75 and the guys was fantastic. By the time I got home later I had an emai from him listing a range of bikes that would suit my stack and reach. He listed what bikes/frames would suit me and the fitting process even narrowed down crank lenght, bar height/reach etc and saddle type. The crank length was interesting as he suggested 5mm smaller than my race bike.

The list was interesting as out of the 9/10 bikes he recommended only a few were close to my price range (I'd upped it to 2K now) and nothing that I was previously considering (planet x, Slice etc).

Knowing exactly what I needed, what size and what components I set about a 2 month period of haggling on the classifieds here, Ebay, Gumtree etc and built a stunning Argon 18 E112.

The frame was an ex demo that was a 2013 model and I approached the store and in the end they stripped the bike and sold me the frame for £800. It's immaculate.

The cockpit and the frame are the only new parts on the bike the rest I sought second hand.

Using 50mm wheels I already raced on, the rest of the bike cost me £1200 and it looks brand new. Zipp cockpit, Ultegra 6800 groupset, Adamo TT saddle. If I was to buy a E112 with Ultegra it would be upwards of 2.5k and the remaining components wouldn't be as good.

Yes, the whole scenario is a bit of a leap of faith based on the fitters recommendations but I have to say it was totally worth it.

I've saved a lot of money, I'm not left with parts I don't want from a full bike I may have been forced to buy and it fits me like a glove.

I did a Duathlon at the weekend and posted an unbelievably good bike split.

I can't recommend the whole process highly enough. For me, spending £75 to find out what bike is right for you is a no brainer. If you are going to spend upwards of 1k it makes utter sense.

Hope this helps.
    S
  • Grill
    Retul is a crock of sh!t.
  • sopworth
    Grill wrote:

Really? Do tell me how you come to this conclusion....
  • Grill
    edited April 2014
    sopworth wrote:
    Grill wrote:

Experience. Retul fittings generally put the saddle too high and the rider too far back. This is especially prevalent when it come to a TT fit. Of course the onus of a proper fit is actually on the fitter, not the system they use, but Retul makes them lazy and dependent.

I had a Retul fit last year on my TT bike by a very well respected fitter and it was pretty terrible. I've spent a lot of time ironing it out and have been working with another fitter to iron out the kinks. My position isn't even close to what he recommended and his dependence on a set of measurements based upon generic norms and not my individual morphology compromised my position.

I was a boot fitter for many years (and a damn good one at that) and my experience taught me that no two feet are the same and thus there is no magical formula or process for fit. Retul is for the lazy and is no replacement for experience and passion.
  • ai_1
    Grill wrote:
    ....my experience taught me that no two feet are different and thus there is no magical formula or process for fit....
    Did you mean "the same"? :wink:
  • sopworth
    Grill wrote:
    sopworth wrote:
    Grill wrote:

Experience. Retul fittings generally put the saddle too high and the rider too far back. This is especially prevalent when it come to a TT fit. Of course the onus of a proper fit is actually on the fitter, not the system they use, but Retul makes them lazy and dependent.

I had a Retul fit last year on my TT bike by a very well respected fitter and it was pretty terrible. I've spent a lot of time ironing it out and have been working with another fitter to iron out the kinks. My position isn't even close to what he recommended and his dependence on a set of measurements based upon generic norms and not my individual morphology compromised my position.

I was a boot fitter for many years (and a damn good one at that) and my experience taught me that no two feet are different and thus there is no magical formula or process for fit. Retul is for the lazy and is no replacement for experience and passion.

Whilst i'm never going to knock ones experience, I would have to disagree to some extent from my experience.

Of the 3 bikes fits I've had done, 2 were done with Retul. I thought the Retul process has been more benifit to me than the inital bike fit I had done a couple of years back. I would most certainly say that my seats are neither to high or the position to far back.

Of course it comes down to the fitter and in the case with my fitter, when we did the sizing on his Retul rig, he based the whole process on his knowledge and how the position looked. The Retul rig was only there to provide numbers at the end. The follow up Retul fit, using the 3d technology, provided some great information that enabled us to get the fit just right to enable me to power through the stroke without excess movement elsewhere, and so on.

Calling a globally used fitting process 'a crock of ****' doesn't really help the OP or anyone else really. You could have explained the above initially.
  • Grill
    Ai_1 wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    ....my experience taught me that no two feet are different and thus there is no magical formula or process for fit....
    Did you mean "the same"? :wink:

Indeed. Thanks for catching that.
  • Grill
    sopworth wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    sopworth wrote:
    Grill wrote:

I was a boot fitter for many years (and a damn good one at that) and my experience taught me that no two feet are different and thus there is no magical formula or process for fit. Retul is for the lazy and is no replacement for experience and passion.

Whilst i'm never going to knock ones experience, I would have to disagree to some extent from my experience.

Of the 3 bikes fits I've had done, 2 were done with Retul. I thought the Retul process has been more benifit to me than the inital bike fit I had done a couple of years back. I would most certainly say that my seats are neither to high or the position to far back.

Of course it comes down to the fitter and in the case with my fitter, when we did the sizing on his Retul rig, he based the whole process on his knowledge and how the position looked. The Retul rig was only there to provide numbers at the end. The follow up Retul fit, using the 3d technology, provided some great information that enabled us to get the fit just right to enable me to power through the stroke without excess movement elsewhere, and so on.

Calling a globally used fitting process 'a crock of ****' doesn't really help the OP or anyone else really. You could have explained the above initially.

I could have but didn't feel like it as I've voiced my opinion on Retul in may other threads.

There are loads of people with the same experiences as me, and I've seen many piss-poor fits that are done with Retul (the over-reliance on KOPS has proved amusing).

Doesn't matter anyway as the new Shimano bike fit system makes Retul beyond obsolete.
  • rozzer32
    Felt DA4 out the window. Apparently Felt have sold out of them for this year now. So not available.
  • meesterbond
    Grill wrote:

Doesn't matter anyway as the new Shimano bike fit system makes Retul beyond obsolete.

For the moment perhaps - I imagine Specialized will be releasing Retul 2.0 in the not too distant future.

For what it's worth, the moment any of these systems rely too much on algorthms to determine the 'correct' fit and take the decision out of the hands of the fitter is when they start going wrong. Motion capture, power distribution and all the other gizmos allow better measurement and provide better data for the fitter - it should then be up to the fitter to make the adjustments and remeasure.

I've had a Retul bike fit a couple of years back and was very happy with the road bike fit - have hardly tinkered with it at all, the TT bike I have changed more.
  • rozzer32
    Ladies ladies. Put the handbags away. I don't care about Retul fits. I've emailed Adrian at Cadence Sport where I've had fits on my road bikes and asked for his thoughts.

Just after options for TT bikes in the £2.5k scale.
  • meesterbond
    Sorry, didn't mean it to sound defensive re. Retul - don't have an axe to grind either way.

Have a (really poor) pic of my new Dolan as compensation. The front needs to come down a bit (there's still 20mm of stem to lop off once I'm happy with the fit) and the utility room needs a tidy, but I'm pretty happy with it. Just need to see whether I can justify a disk on the back or just wheelcovers.

62e3250f73b61167e73b8425c16e5aaa.jpg
  • rozzer32
    Could also get the Felt B12.

mdb-f8022_b12_mattecarbon_whitered.jpg

Same frame as the DA but doesn't have the integrated stem. 2K with Ultegra 6800. Also have them in stock.

So it's between the B12 and Scala and get them now. Or wait till June/July and get the Focus.