Gluing tubulars - is this a good bond?

earth
earth Posts: 934
edited March 2014 in Workshop
After using tubulars for the first time last year I decided to glue my rear tyre on again because it was starting to come away from the rim in places. When I took it off it was certainly easy to remove in places and other parts were firmly glued on.

Anyway I finished glueing it back on this evening but I'm still not sure I did a good enough job of it.

I've added a photo attachment that shows where the tyre meets the rim. I would prefer more glue at the edge of the rim.



Any opinions?



BTW Admins. When you specify an image should have a maximum resolution try and get the vertical and horizontal resolutions the right way round. 640 horizontal by 480 vertical is more appropriate than 480 horizontal and 640 vertical because 640 by 480 is a standard resolution (VGA) and the aspect ratio that cameras take photos in.

Comments

  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    As you say, the photo res is the limiting factor here - it's pretty hard to see from that photo. In theory, no glue should be visible as it's all between the tyre and the rim bed, but inevitably some squeezes out.

    My best tip is to pump up super hard after putting the tyre on - 160psi, and leave overnight.Then you can deflate and see if there are any obvious loose bits - there shouldn't be.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Agree, the photo is a bit poor. I arsed about trying to upload it for some time but kept having to lower the resolution and image size to get it to fit the criteria of no more than 256 KiB and no greater than 480 * 640 pixels. Hence the arsey comment to the admins that they have the dimensions the wrong way round.

    There is a bit of glue showing in places but I felt although it is unsightly it might be a better bond because I read the glue at the edge of the rim accounts for more of the bonds strength than the glue in valley of the rim.

    The front tyre has glue showing all round and it has been solid so far. The rear started to come away where there was less glue at the edge so I decided to have another go.


    I pumped the tyre up to full pressure as you suggest and it is currently 'curing'.
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    Once you've left it a few days to dry let all the air out and see how it compares to how easily it came off. That's the only real way to check.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    I let the air out this evening and inspected it. There were places where I could roll the tyre over and see the base tape underneath so I felt it had to come off.

    The areas where the glue was visible were the hardest parts to remove.

    I'm now in the process of putting two layers of glue on the rim before a third layer and putting the tyre back on. This time I have a nice build up of glue right at the edge of the rim.

    It's all good practice.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Instead of glue and all that entails, why not just use tub tape? I only use tape (4 ish years now) and have never had a problem - simple to use, lasts forever, no hassles.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    It would be more convenient but I want to minimise any slippage of the tyre around the rim. I guess you can tell if this is happening by the angle of the valve. Have you noticed any?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Hi

    None at all over all the time I've used tape (used on 3 different sets of wheels). It's probably not the done thing but I tape and then leave alone until the tub needs changing - this could take years and I haven't had any problems.

    Another way of measuring for any potential slippage could also be to mark two dots: one on the tub, one on the wheel immediately below. The minute there is any difference between the dots means that you have a problem.


    A few friends who are GB/World tri/Ironman also use tape alone and have no problems.

    HTH

    M
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    The glue v tape argument will still rumble on. I'd use glue as it will give a much more reliable bond. Can't remember seeing any pro tour mechanics using tape..... There may well be TT/Tri riders using tape but they usually don't do big hills/tight corners.

    As you say it's all good practice and once you get the process sussed it will be much easier from then on.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Agree with Mitch re the argument - it will go on and on and on and Ariston.

    I must admit to having no idea about the percentile ratios of pro mechanics who may or may not use tape (does anyone?) but I think we are talking about a recreational rider who does a bit of riding and also has a life/day job/family and therefore limited time in which to fit tyres to wheels to go out on his bicycle before the next bout of domestic chores comes up.

    I personally have never had any problems with tape on hills/tight corners and I suspect that if this was a problem then tape wouldn't be on sale as the manufacturers would be dealing with a constant stream of litigation from people who have fallen off. Probably pretty easy to discount that argument.

    If glue works with you then cool, if tape then ditto - no worries, no qualms. I use tape as its clean, simple, quick and easy to use - if you're a dab hand (no pun intended) with glue then cool.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    I'm too lazy to find a link, but the reason many purists eschew tape is because of the supposedly higher rolling resistance.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,885
    there're several papers on glues, usage, performance and glue vs tape here...

    http://www.engr.ku.edu/~kuktl/
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    Totally agree with the above comments. If you're happy using tape then that's fine. I'm not trying to force anyone to use glue it they don't want to or feel comfortable using it.

    Regarding not having time to use glue it's really not a massively time consuming process. You just have to leave the glue to cure between coats, actually applying the glue is maybe 10 minutes for a pair of wheels.