'Taff' Racism Case

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,540
edited March 2014 in The cake stop
As a proud Welshman I have to say I was embarrassed at seeing this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-26752592 and the subsequent amount of money the case will presumably cost. OK so it is alleged the phrase was used as an insult but FFS, it's just a commonly used term for a Welshman in the same way as Jock is used for a Scot. I doubt there's a regiment in the British army without at least one member called Taff. I'd be too ashamed to go back to work as a bouncer after this!

Comments

• It's bonkers boyo
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    How did he know they were Welsh? bit sheepish? leeks in their pants?
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Mae dy fam yn llyfu cociau mul
  • Sawilson
    Sawilson Posts: 171
    ddwywaith yr wythnos mewn gwirionedd
    Just Kidding !

Specailized Roubaix Comp 2014
    Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510
  • Pross
    RideOnTime wrote:

As they were in Lydney I'm guessing they stood out as they were the only ones not married to a relative.
  • Pross
    Sawilson wrote:
    ddwywaith yr wythnos mewn gwirionedd

Good to know she's cut back.
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    Pross wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:

As they were in Lydney I'm guessing they stood out as they were the only ones not married to a relative.

This ^^^^^^^^ :lol:
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,547
    i'll have a consonant please carol
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • taff..
    taff.. Posts: 81
    a.baa-It-Wasnt-Me-I-Swear.jpg
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Nid wyf yn y swyddfa ar hyn o bryd. Anfonwch unrhyw waith i'w gyfieithu.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    bompington wrote:
    Nid wyf yn y swyddfa ar hyn o bryd. Anfonwch unrhyw waith i'w gyfieithu.

cyclists.jpg

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/003469.html
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    RDW wrote:
    Mae fy hofrenfad yn llawn llyswennod

... as luck would have it, Lydney would be as good a place as any to come across such an situation.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Why do Welsh words appear to have been written on an enigma machine?
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • andy_f
    andy_f Posts: 474
    I've tried to pronounce each one of these foreign statements and now have a keyboard covered in phlegm.
    "Let your life rule your job, not your job rule your life"

Born to ride, forced to work.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Rwy'n meddwl medru i yn ddarllen Cymraeg, ond i chi i gyd yn ddefnyddio geiriau hir: (
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    But surely . . . Welsh isn't a race?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,946
    Mistranslations. This was my favourite....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7702913.stm

The older I get, the better I was.

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Why do Welsh words appear to have been written on an enigma machine?

Because you can't speak Welsh...
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Giraffoto wrote:

You could probably get about three dozen definitions of 'race', but still be none the wiser, or closer to what the word actually means.

Where do you stop being a certain race, and just be a native? Is Welsh a race or merely a nationality? Should it automatically be racism if you insult someone using a geographical insult? Is calling someone a Yorkshire tw*t racism? I don't consider being a Yorkshireman my race, but some might (as long as they are from Gods Own County [TM]), but surely it's more of a regional thing, I suspect the defendant and the complainant are actually the same race?

So then is it about ethnicity, or is it about religion, or some of both?

Can. Worms. Open....
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    nathancom wrote:
    Mae dy fam yn llyfu cociau mul

pumdeg un o dri :D:D:D
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Giraffoto wrote:

Exactly. Madness.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • Pross wrote:
    As a proud Welshman I have to say I was embarrassed at seeing this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-26752592 and the subsequent amount of money the case will presumably cost. OK so it is alleged the phrase was used as an insult but FFS, it's just a commonly used term for a Welshman in the same way as Jock is used for a Scot. I doubt there's a regiment in the British army without at least one member called Taff. I'd be too ashamed to go back to work as a bouncer after this!

Irish Guards possibly :wink:
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Giraffoto wrote:

You could probably get about three dozen definitions of 'race', but still be none the wiser, or closer to what the word actually means.

Where do you stop being a certain race, and just be a native? Is Welsh a race or merely a nationality? Should it automatically be racism if you insult someone using a geographical insult? Is calling someone a Yorkshire tw*t racism? I don't consider being a Yorkshireman my race, but some might (as long as they are from Gods Own County [TM]), but surely it's more of a regional thing, I suspect the defendant and the complainant are actually the same race?

So then is it about ethnicity, or is it about religion, or some of both?

Can. Worms. Open....

I'd be very insulted if anyone reminded me I'm originally from Essex, but I don't regard it as a race. It should be a non-issue - if you met, say, Prince Charles, you wouldn't subsequently describe it as "I met this white bloke today"
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    The names "Wales" and "Welsh" are from the Proto-Germanic word "Walhaz" meaning...foreigner :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    So Hengist was really Jonnny Wales? :lol:
    Horsa.. Johnny Welsh?
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Pross wrote:

I guess this is down to the intelligence of the average bouncer "i can't spell it,but i can pick it up",probably they were under cameras so they weren't able to beat the hell out of the guy calling them Taffs, like they would of done years ago,so they are trying to make it look like they are more intelligent,whilst making themselves look proper numpties instead
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    I used to be a Special Constable in Dorset Police and remember attending a meeting held by a liaison officer concerned with political correctness. Essentially we were told that we couldn't tell any jokes whilst in company of other officers ie there was an Englishman, Irishman and Scottsman. etc etc.
    I asked whether calling a Welshman 'Taff' was also banned even though said recipient of the tag wasn't offended. "Yes" came back the answer, because the recipient of the label Taff may be offended by it but too embarrassed or frightened to object to it.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.